Shanghai Street Addresses, ATM Machines

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may be a very silly question, but I am curious to know before we go to Shanghai. It's our first trip to China. When a guidebook has a street address listed, as 123 Nanjing Dong Lu, for example, will there be numbers on the buildings, or are they only in Chinese characters? I just want to kind of prepare for how lost I might get or how hard it might be to find particular restaurants or other places of interest.

Also are there numbers on the ATM machines or only Chinese characters?

Thanks so much! I can't wait to see China!
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 09:41 AM

The ATM will have multilanguage capability and usually will have an "English" button. Once you press the "English" button then all the screen will be in English. Same numeric keypad as the rest of the world.

I beleive they use the Arabic numerals for street address.
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 10:33 AM

Arabic numerals are in use for all everyday purposes, but you should note that no one thinks about house numbers in streets. Locations are thought of in terms of their proximity to crossroads, or to well-known buildings. Guide books give you the street addresses in Western style because it's what you expect, editors usually don't know better and force researchers to work with house style, and because it's easy and lazy to do so, rather than provide a description (in Chinese characters) that makes sense to a taxi driver or anyone else you might ask for directions.

But if you go in search of a particular restaurant, for instance, you simply ask an English speaker at hotel reception to call and find out more about its location, and write it down for you. If taxi drivers look dubious at being given a written name and address, just make sure to have the phone number with you. The driver will call and ask directions. This is normal procedure, and no charge is made (or tip given).

Peter N-H
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, Hanuman and Peter N-H! That makes things much more clear. I'll definitely take your advice and get directions written down from the hotel. Maybe I won't get hopelessly lost and confused now! No more than normal, anyway!
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 01:08 PM

Shanghai is not very confusing, even for a first timer who speaks no Chinese. I found people to be very willing to help an obvious foreign tourist. And my two travel partners on a recent visit, who had never before been to Asia and are a bit prone to getting lost and confused, made it back to our hotel safe and sound on the days when they ventured off by themselves.

One thing to keep in mind, since you already have the answers to your original questions from the helpful posters above, be prepared that you may encounter the odd ATM that will not work for you. Do not be nervous. Just try another.
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you also, ekscrunchy! Good to know about the ATMs that may not work!
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 08:01 PM

Beware that ATMs in popular areas run out of cash, so never wait until you are desperate for money. I was in Shanghai at the end of a tour group, took off on my own to visit some gardens and shop. I used all my cash on beautiful items, then visited 3 ATMs in that popular area, and all were empty. Luckily, banks are open on Sundays, so I headed for the nearest large avenue and found a bank, the ATM had money much to my relief.
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 01:46 AM

If you have a Bank of America ATM card, there is no charge for using China Construction Bank ATM's. They have an affiliation.
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 10:17 AM

Be aware that there are fake ATM machines that will eat your card - the 'owners' will then use your card to the limit. These ATM machines look like the real thing and have all the Mastercard / Visa card stickers etc. Only use those inside large high quality hotels / commercial properties / shopping malls or inside banks.