Reload this Page >

Shanghai-nightlife & costs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 1999, 02:42 PM
Carlos

I'm planning a trip to Shanghai. Can anyone tell me about the nightlife and how expensive /cheap is the city? I've been in Tokyo, HK and Bangkok (after the deval). So feel free to make comparisons. Thanks.

Old Sep 28th, 1999, 05:25 PM
Michael

Carlos, <BR> <BR>Shanghai can be as expensive as Tokyo and Hong Kong (was) or as inexpensive as Bangkok now is. It depends on where you want to stay and whether you can eat with the locals. <BR> <BR>What kind of nightlife? (music, jazz, etc., sports bars, etc., opera/plays, sex?

Old Sep 29th, 1999, 04:11 AM
Carlos

Michael, thanks for your tips. Nightlife: nightclubs and bars. Can you comment on those? Thanks again.

Old Sep 29th, 1999, 08:50 AM
Michael

Carlos, <BR> <BR>Try this internet site. It has all of the good restaurants/bars/pubs in Shanghai. <BR> <BR>http://www.datacomm.ch/pmgeiser/chin...s/shanghai.htm <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 3rd, 1999, 03:58 AM
Ricky

Just come back from Shanghai last week. If you like jazz, you should go to the Old Jazz Bar in Peace Hotel (Nanjiang East Road, near the Bund). <BR>There are several nice pubs/bars near the Shanghai Library. <BR>If you need other information about Shanghai/Hangzhou, feel free to let me know.

Old Oct 3rd, 1999, 04:17 AM
Ricky

Forgotten to mention about the costs. Eating in restaurants is very cheap comparing with Tokyo & HK. Eg, lunch at Lu Bo Lang in Yuyuan (Bill Clinton went for lunch in last China trip) costs about Rmb150-200 for 2 persons. <BR>Hotel is fairly cheap unless you need to stay at top hotels. And it is much cheaper to book in China through local agent (eg. CITS) than overseas. <BR>