Shanghai, China

Search

Shanghai, China

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2006, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shanghai, China

Need some interesting places to go in Shanghai shopping, tours and restaurnats.
Is it possible to hire a private guide for a day? I need them to speak English
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:47 AM

Hi jdm_karen, when will you come to Shanghai? If I am available I can act as your private guide. You could reach me through my [email protected],
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 08:26 AM

there are lots of interesting clothing shops along Xin Le Lu and Chang Le Lu. It is a lot of walking and I don't think you need a guide for it. Many of the shops have price tags, bargain down about 10% if it is a small shop. This is where the locals shop for clothes/shoes/accessories. Nanjing Lu is more for tourists.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 09:28 AM
Lia

Not sure what type of shopping you are looking for but...

In Puxi, you might want to check out Huáihai Zhong Lu and Maoming Lu for shopping. A little less touristy than Nanjing Lu.

On Pudong side, there are some interesting modern department stores and shopping malls such as NextAge (Yaohan), Times Square and Super Brand Mall.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 01:42 PM

Run a search on this forum for more info. Destination guides on this and other travel sites (Frommers, Lonely Planet etc) are also good for planning purposes, especially Frommers' maps. (Sorry, Fodors, but credit where credit's due.)

We didn't see any need for a guide in Shanghai - it's not a difficult city to navigate by cab and foot as long as you arrive prepared and know where you want to go. Just ask the hotel staff to write down your destinations in Chinese for the cabbie. Buy a decent bilingual city map when you arrive -that's also useful when giving directions to cab drivers. Street signs are in pinyin (Latin alphabet) as well as Chinese.

If you have only a very short time and are happy to pay the asking price, a guide could be indicated. We had several days to explore at leisure.

Old Feb 24th, 2006, 07:11 AM

Hi.
You may wish to visit one of those ancient towns. May I suggest 'Zhu Jia Jiao' (just key in these words in a search engine, shld b able to see some pictures taken by other travellers). Try eating xiao-long-bao at 'Yu-yuan'. Briased/Stewed Pig Trotters at 'Xiao Nan Guo'. Side trip to Hangzhou and Suzhou too.
Happy Holidays!
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 06:49 PM

u can post in the classifieds section of these english-language shanghai websites:

www.shanghaiexpat.com
www.thatssh.com