Search

Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 12:23 AM
AnnaC

Shanghai

Does anyone have any suggestions for must-sees and don't-bother-withs in Shanghai? <BR><BR>We're going to be there on our own for 5 days at the beginning of October, before joining a tour that will take us to Beijing and on a Yangtze River Cruise. I've got some guide books and have a few ideas, but it's often hard to tell what is best to do, after the top 1 or 2 attractions.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 09:02 AM
Ishoo

Be sure to spend time in the old (Chinese ) area. There is also the large Buddhist Temple in that area. A nice long walk on the promenade along the river is also worthwhile.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 10:12 AM
Marsha

I would suggest taking at least one day trip. Both Suzhou or Hangzhou would be good choices and can be reached by train or car.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 01:05 PM
Meg

One of our favorite things we did in Shanghai was to visit a pet market that was listed on our hotel's taxi card. We were the only Westerners in the area and were followed throught the market by these old Chinese men who were fascinated with our blue eyes, my blonde hair, and my husband's heighth (6'4".) I haggled with an old Chinese woman on a calculator for some cricket cages. It was an interesting morning. <BR><BR>We also enjoyed the acrobatic show at the Portman Ritz Carlton.<BR><BR>By that point in our trip, we were ready for some Western food, so - as much as I truly hate to admit it, we went to a Hard Rock Cafe, which I had personally vowed NEVER, EVER to do - ANYWHERE, but those might have been the finest nachos I'd ever had in my life. We enjoyed watching the Chinese bad sing old disco tunes. It was very surreal.<BR><BR>Suzhou is a popular day trip for the gardens and the Grand Canal. <BR><BR>Eat dinner at M on the Bund and have a drink in the lobby of the Peace Hotel. Enjoy!

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 04:17 PM
Margot

Suzhou is nice although the canal area is changing, but it's a great place to buy double-sided embroidery. It's nice that they're building new shops, etc. in the old Chinese style which I love. Another very old town is Zhou Zhang which was very picturesque. There are lots of vendors along the way (most like everywhere) but we enjoyed it. Be sure to buy some bottles or globes painted on the inside while in China. In Shanghai see the Jade Buddha Temple and Yu Gardens. Margot

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 07:58 PM
Ricky

Agree with Margot that globes painting is a good souvenir. I bought at the street outside Yu Garden (Rmb 300 for about 5-inch diameter, cheaper than dept stores and inside Yu Garden).<BR><BR>I also recommend visiting Shanghai Museum (could easily spend a few hours).<BR><BR>If you decide to take day trip to Suzhou, don't bother to pay visiting Yu Garden. Suzhou gardens are much better and more relax.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 09:13 AM
AnnaC

Thanks everyone - looks like Suzhou is definitely on the list. How easy is it to get there and back? My fiance and I are both pretty confident and independent travellers but are new to China and don't speak much (any!) Chinese.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 02:18 PM
Barb

I booked a trip from my hotel. A guide and driver picked us up and brought us back.Included lunch. Be sure to go, the gardens are stunning.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 05:20 PM
Ricky

Anna,<BR>Remember Suzhou is a very small town and can be easily explored by foot. As long as you get a good map, you can go to many places/gardens. So, you can arrange the transportation from/to Shanghai at your hotel. <BR>If you have further questions, email me.<BR>Ricky

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 07:46 AM
Andrea

Take the train to Suzhou (which as the other posters have said, you can organize through your hotel). The train station can be a bit intimidating, since everything is in Chinese, but it's a great chance to meet Chinese people and find out how wonderfully helpful they can be - if you'll just show your ticket to people, they will be very helpful to get you to your train.<BR><BR>In Shanghai, don't miss getting up early one morning to go mingle with the Chinese doing their Tai Chi and ballroom dancing (6:30 or 7 a.m.). Great places to go are the Bund, the Yu Yuan garden area, or any park.

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 02:27 PM
John D. Roberts

For one thing do not miss the museumbut bring a jacket or sweater, they keep the air conditioning very low. Arrange for a boat ride on the river to look at the old and new cities. It lasts about an hour but the view is great. Also Nangjing Rd. is a must the shopping is good and the neon lights reminds a person of Hong Kong. Have fun it is a great city

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 11:25 PM
AnnaC

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions. My fiance works with a Shanghainese woman who has moved to London, and she finds it bizarre that we are going to spend 5 days in Shanghai - apparently there's nothing for tourists to see and do!

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 02:29 AM
cynthia

Hi Anna:<BR><BR>I just returned from China 2 days ago; during my trip, I had a WONDERFUL WEEK in SHANGHAI! It was THE BEST! You will love it!<BR><BR>Try to eat at CANTON RESTAURANT; up about 50 stories in the Hyatt Hotel in the Pudong area; it is one of the top 100 restaurants in the world, and is fabulous. Four of us ate there for $30 US per person, including appetizers, rice wine and apple dumplings for dessert.<BR><BR>Definitely catch Yu Yuan Gardens; do your shopping at the market around the Gardens (and have tea in the famous tea house there). There are very good bargains to be had here; try for 25% of the asking price, and usually never pay more than 50%. Of course, you know that "silk" is not always "silk" in China.<BR><BR>Towards the end of your trip (because you will recognize the buildings), take a trip up the PEARL TOWER. It has Fabulous views! If you like local transport, take the ferry back to the Shanghai side of the river for about 6 US cents.<BR><BR>The metro and ferry are cheap, safe and efficient. Taxis are also cheap; just get your destination written in Chinese if you do not speak it.<BR><BR>Suzhou is a wonderful day trip. I did it with a tour for $55 US, including lunch. It is so different than Shanghai.<BR><BR>See the Acrobats! The best troupe performs at the Shanghai Centre; it is reasonably priced. They play almost every night.<BR><BR>If you haven't made your accomodations, stay at the JC MANDARIN. It's supreme! Or, if you see the acrobats at the Shanghai Centre, just go across the street for dinner at the Mandarin; a wonderful seafood buffet is available on the first floor. Their bar on the first floor has live music every night, and reasonably priced cocktails.<BR><BR>If you want to see a Buddhist temple where religion predominates over tourism, go to JING'AN TEMPLE, a striking yellow-gold complex dating back to the last century, when it was popularly known to foreign residents s Bubbling Well Temple. The Bubbling Well is actually across the street (Nanjing Lu Road) at Jing'An Park, a lovely park with a lake and walk-through cave.<BR><BR>I hope you have a GREAT TRIP! (Bring an extra suitcase for the things you will want to buy!)<BR><BR>A Fellow Traveller,<BR>CYNTHIA

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 05:44 AM
Paul

I am a native Chinese living in Shanghai. I do agree the advice of Cynthia, the Pearl Tower, the Jin Mao Building and Nan Jing Road... all these features around the Bund Area represent what Shanghai is like Today. I also recommand one day trip to SuZhou. It is very convienient, you even neednot book a train ticket. What you need to do is just go directly to the Train Station and buy tickets ( there are tons of trains to Suzhou or pass by it). I would like to advice you get up early at least one morning, then go to the people's square, where you can see our chinese do tradional exercises. If you want to see an opening window of a different culture, this is. Then after the breakfast, you can spend all the day aroud the square--- the maniciple goverment building, the museum, Shanghai Theatre and so on. <BR>Enjoy it! <BR>Paul

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 05:11 PM
ttt

ttt for Shanghai

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 09:39 AM
topper

Topping for Bob.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 02:56 AM
topper

Topping for Birgitte.