service on air india

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 10:18 AM
maureen

service on air india

Does anyone have any feedback on Air India. I will be flying with them in September from JFK to Delhi and also within India and Nepal. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 12:26 PM
Bill A

Maureen,
I flew Air-India last year. They were unexpectedly quite good! As good or better than US carriers. The food was plentiful, edible, full hot breakfast, unlike US carriers. I took them to Kathmandu also. The flight I believe is always late by hours. Again, full service, hot meal, & free drinks. Also, I flew Sahara Airways and Jet Airways inside India - excellent. A box of candy was given out to each passenger while waiting at the gate and inflight, linen napkins, tablecloth and hot meals for very short flights. This was all in coach!!!

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 02:12 PM
Marianne

I travelled with Air india last summer and found them to be quite good although their flights were often late and delayed so give yourself a lot of time.The food was great ..but very traditionally India spicey so you might want to pack something you are used to. India is a fabulous experience..have a great trip

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 08:23 PM
Serena

I flew air India once and have avoided it ever since, it was a mess. Someone threw up in the aisle and all they did was put down newspaper, after that was walked on for an hour you can imagine the mess. The bathrooms were dirty, the whole plane smelled of urine and the food was awful. They have delays frequently, sometimes for days. I've heard Jet Airways is very good and keeps to their schedule.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 08:45 AM
Indian Advisor

Air India (for international flights) and Indian Airlines (for domestic flights) are Indian govt. owned airlines. The experiences with these 2 carriers are always a mixed bag. There is hardly any consistency in service, flight timings or performance. Sometimes, you get service that you can never get in coach class US flights and sometimes (unfortunately) you can be at the end of the spectrum.

These airlines are increasingly under the threat of competition from private carriers. As such they have been making an attempt to improve. Most of the time, you can expect to be pleased with the service but there are no guarantees (as Serena's post proves).

Keep your expectations low and chances are you will be pleased at the end of it all.

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 05:59 AM
Dave

Good luck! Air India is usually the cheapest and there's a reason for that. I agree that the food is excellent for airline food, even in economy, but that's about the only good thing I can say about Air India.

If you're flying business or first, it'll be tolerable. Economy is a nightmare but at least you'll have lot of cocktail conversation material for the next year. It probably would have been better to ask your question before purchasing your tickets.

About the only thing I can suggest is to check in extra early. The lines at JFK can be really crazy at times and you'll need to be patient.

India is still a great country to visit and you'll have lots of stories to tell after your journey. Have fun.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 12:49 PM
Kristin

I don't know what Air india these other have been flying, but when I flew it from Bombay to the US, it was filthy, the blankets were grungy, and they did not serve any drinks other than warm juice boxes. The food was okay, but I felt very sick afterwards. I am not a picky traveler, but my experience with AI was that it was gross! The only good thing was that the plane was so empty I had a whole row to myself to sleep.

Kristin

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 05:17 PM
Linda

If at all possible I'd go with another airline, they lost my luggage and when I got it back almost every thing was gone.On just that flight they had lost 9 or 10 peoples luggage and no on seemed as if it was unusual. Plane was dirty, food not to bad. One nice thing about my stuff being stolen was that I got to buy lots of new clothes at a good price. Be SURE you get insurance. The airline only gave me $100 on my losses. Linda

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 07:03 PM
tvlagt

I'm a corporate travel agent. Our client is one of the largest companies in the world. If at all possible we avod booking our travellers on Air India. They are definitely a third world, third rate airline.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 11:02 PM
xxx

Air India sucks!

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 09:02 PM
vipsha

Indian travel agents in the US can get you discount rates for business class seats originating from India. We bought one-way coach class tickets on Air France to India (broke our journey in Paris), and bought one-way business class tickets from Delhi to JFK. (Total cost USD 1950 pp in December).
I'm Indian, and my husband and I have flown Air India just once. We try flying Air France / SwissAir most of the time, because Air India tends to have a reputation for frequent delays, etc.
However, we were pleasantly surprized when we flew Air India - but then we flew business class (Delhi - JFK). The service was excellent, I can't say that we would have been treated the same in economy. Email if you have questions.

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 09:32 PM
John G

I flew Air India this past May and I thought it was fine. The stewards were very polite and got me everything I asked for. They showed the movie, MISS CONGENIALITY, and other recent films. They food was fine, much better than bland, boring British Airways. Also, there was much more leg room on Air India than other airlines. I give Air India a 7. These are the other airlines I have flown in the past: United, USAir, Delta, Cathay Pacific, British Airways, Continental, Air France, Pan Am, Alitalia, Iberia, Lufthansa, Lot, Indian Airlines, South China Air, North China Air. Air France was the best, Lot the worst. John G.

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 10:34 PM
John G

The flight delays of any carrier in Nepal have nothing to do with them and everything to do with the government. After a highjacking last year, it is mandatory for lengthy security procedures. Even Singapore Airlines, which is rated best in the world, would have flight delays in Kathmandu.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 09:57 PM
Pas

My final experience with Air India was taking a weekend break from Saudi Arabia to Bombay, departing Friday night and returning Sunday night. We sat in the airplane for 6 hours as an additional engine was brought for another aircraft. We then flew for about an hour and a half across Saudi Arabia to Jeddah (the opposite direction to Bombay) to deliver this engine and waited a further three hours in the aircraft until things were ready. We finally departed flying right across Saudi Arabia again, not arriving in Bombay until Saturday night instead of early Saturday morning. My weekend was ruined and I resolved never to use them again. I considered that they had shown where their priorities were - convenience to the airline far exceeding passenger convenience.

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 02:07 PM
STEPHAINE

MAUREEN
IF YOU WNT AND ALT AIRLINE USE SWISS AIR THERE WONDERFUL FLEW FROM JKF TO DELHI AND FROM BOMBAY TO JFK.WE WERE SCHED TO FLY AIR INDIA W/ THE OTHERS IN OUR GROUP AND BOY WERE WE GLAD WE DIDNT !!