Busy in Bangalore, missing Mumbai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrived Mumbai airport and caught autorickshaw to Andhere then train to Churchgate and auto rickshaw to our hotel for the grand total of 138 rupees. Stuff the 450 rupees taxi ride!

Alan, the Hotel Lawrence was very good and in an excellent location. Our room was clean and the people who run the place are helpful. It is a bargain, simply for its quiet location. We could have afforded better however we really splurged at Trishna's with Pomfets and wine and lunch the day before at TGIF. Lunch & Kingfishers at Leopolds was also very good. Spent more on food and wine than accommodation! Mumbai is a wonderful place to chill out especially in the Fort area and the food is first class. 10 rupee thalis at local food stands!

Now in Bangalore after a great flight on Air Deccan. Amazing value at around 100USD one way for the two of us.
Not sure if Bangalore is our kinda town-too busy and has a Delhi kinda feel! Nice hotel (Hotel Vallera 1000 rupees-brand new bathrooms & renovated quite well). The traffic noise here is driving us crazy though! The cars go 24/7 and we wonder where everyone is going!

This morning we take a bus to Mysore for a couple of days (56 rupees each) then super express to Trivandrum.

India is better the second time around! Will post more when it happens! Wouldn't be dead for quids!

All the best to everyone!
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 08:02 PM

Lyndie, it was good to hear the favourable report on Hotel Lawrence.... why isn't this bargain reported more often? Sometime when you're still missing Mumbai and you have nothing to do, please write back and tell us just where it is.... if I ever get back to India and Mumbai again (hope! hope!) I will be sure to look it up.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 08:15 PM

Lyndie, it was good to hear the favourable report on Hotel Lawrence.... why isn't this bargain reported more often? Sometime when you're still missing Mumbai and you have nothing to do, please write back and tell us just where it is.... if I ever get back to India and Mumbai again (hope! hope!) I will be sure to look it up.

Just realised that Lyndie on Fodors and Lyndy on Indiamike are one and the same. You did well with your transport from the airport -- we did much the same, except that we went from the airport to Andheri by public bus; can't remember what it cost, I know we gave the conductor 100 rupees and he gave us our tickets and walked off. Five minutes later he returned with such a huge pile of change that we were sure we must have made a profit on the deal. I think he gave us about 90 rupees in change, maybe a bit more.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 08:15 PM

Sorry about the double post -- Fodors told me that the first one didn't "go"!
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 01:15 AM
Original Poster

Hi Alan

The Hotel Lawrence is right near Trishna's Restaurant in Shri Sai Baba Marg off Kubarsh Marg right behind the Prince of Wales Museum. I'll post their phone number later as I don't have it on me. Yes, I'm lyndy. I tried to register as Lyndie and the id was already used so used the next closest alias!

We are now in Cochin after a pretty rough overnight bus ride from Mysore. We stayed at a lovely little hotel in Mysore called Maysura Hoysala, run by KRSTC (Govt. of Karnataka). Absolute bargain at 650 rupees with Cable & bathroom. The Palace at Mysore has been a major highlight of our trip so far. Magic stuff!

Staying at Fort House in Cochin now. Nice little place for 1200 rupees, it's a basic lovely garden hotel with fan & private bath and it's right on the water's edge. It is quite hot here so maybe we'll head to Munnar in a cuppla days for some heat relief. Had fabulous kingfish for lunch and plan on a few beers tonight. Have fun & talk later.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 02:57 AM

Let's talk sooner, not later.

Hope you liked Fort Cochin.... be sure to walk through the Jewish quarter!