Seeking small, family oriented resort

Old Feb 24th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeking small, family oriented resort

We are looking for somewhere in Thailand, Vietnam, Laos or Cambodia. Our daughter is 6 1/2. We prefer somewhere that has fewer than 50 rooms (for more of the personal touch) and is independently owned rather than part of a major chain. Nice rooms, relaxed atmosphere and good food.

We like beaches and relaxing, and would also like to get PADI certified. For kids, a playground, pool, and/or some sort of kids program would be nice. On-site babysitting would be nice too, but not necessary.

Anybody been somewhere that sounds like that?

Thanks...Kim
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 07:58 AM

What time of year? As weather may dictate best place. You won't find beaches and diving in Laos(!), you are probably going to be looking at Thai or Malaysian areas, but time of year of travel will dictate which coast.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Time of year...August or New Year. We've been to Bangkok and Koh Samui 3 times...in August twice and over the new year once. LOVE it!

Maybe resort is the wrong word, since we aren't a structure loving family. In Bangkok, we happily stay at the Peninsula, and we've stayed at Laem Set Inn in Koh Samui and that place is exactly what we are looking for...but somewhere else.

We don't mind dividing the time between 2 or 3 places, doing a beach, Angkor Wat for a few days, and Sapa in Vietnam looks like someplace we'd like. We're really looking for ideas, and others' experiences tend to be more helpful than blind internet searches and commercial websites.

Old Feb 25th, 2004, 04:12 PM

Kim, I was actually going to recommend the Laem Set Inn until I saw your second post. You are the only person (other than me) that has mentioned it in the last 3 years on this site. Our stay there in July 2000 was most memorable.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Craig...we've stayed at Laem Set 3 times and while it has been perfect for us in every way, we are trying to "broaden our horizons" a bit, so to speak. There must be somewhere that is similar in style, right?
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 02:22 AM

Kim, have you considered a week (or more) in Bali? It's only a four hour flight from Bangkok and there are many boutique-style resorts to choose from. Post back and I can give you some details.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

We have considered Bali...been there once in 1996 as a couple and really did like it. Have you been there recently?
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 05:06 AM

We were there for two weeks last July. You can read my six-part trip report at http://www.balitravelforum.com/archive200307/11747.html - At the end of each section there is a link to the next.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Great Bali report! Thanks for sharing the link to it. We are originally from MA...not far from you at all. Now we are in Japan, and visit MA once a year.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 03:39 PM
WSL

Phan Thiet and Mui Ne Beach just to the north of Phan Thiet have been developing a reputation as an "emerging" beach resort area in Vietnam. While the area is accessible from Ho Chi Minh City by hired car/driver (reasonable) and some of the resorts themselves are quite nicelooking with good service and good food, there is a HUGE downside: the beaches are littered with dead animals, principally HUGE RATS, but also an occasional dead dog; also lots of trash on the beach and in the water. After one walk down the beach, we checked out of our hotel, the Coco Beach Resort, after 1 night, and fled to Thailand.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 04:01 PM

Angkor Wat even at New Years is terribly hot!! I doubt that a 7 year old (she will by then) would enjoy the temples but she would love the pool at the Raffles hotel. Singapore at New Years is great weather and it is a fun, easy city with lovely hotels. We met several families in Singapore who were expats in Japan when we were there in December. Of course, no beach. Rayavadee is very nice, great beaches, good food, great service, but no organized kids program. I am sure the hotel would be delighted to arrange kid care. It is hard to think of the perfect place.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies! We are considering Koh Samui again, or Hua Hin, for the bulk of the time, and flying up to Angkor Wat for a few days. She actually likes temples, and being born and raised in humid Japan, is no stranger to hot and humid weather. Actually, Bangkok in August is a relief for us!
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 07:05 PM

kim---where is laem set inn??

where in MA are you from...i live in needham...??
bob
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 01:54 AM

Bob - Laem Set Inn is on the southeast corner of Koh Samui. You should at least check out its excellent restaurant for lunch when you are there.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 02:37 AM

In Camb you can consider Shinta Mani hotel. www.sanctuaryresorts.com. I just stayed there over Valentines day weekend and really liked it. Only 18 rooms. GREAT food - even if you do not stay there do go for a meal. OK pricing - I got a room in peak tourist season for US$150 per night. You can also consider Koh Samet - driving distance from Bkk. Le Vimarn Cottages are gorgeous, lovely beach - tho it may be a bit quiet for your daughter.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Bob - I'm from Princeton (as a kid) and last lived in Allston (1995) before moving to Japan.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

Shinta Mani does look like our kind of place, as does Le Vimarn. Thanks so much for mentioning them!