Seeking hiking guide Kamikochi Oct 2023

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2023, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested in working with an English-speaking hiking guide for a 3 day, night hut stay starting and ending in Kamikochi with a group of 10-12 adults.
The guides I have found (2 different ones) declined to take our group, as it seemed they might have been offended by my asking a few questions about liability insurance and safety that are required for my hiking group, and after several emails of confirming and asking questions they denied to continue the conversation even though I offered to pay a deposit and confirm the tour. Since this happened twice, I'm beginning to think it is a cultural thing that guides don't want to be questioned.
Although I believe this hike can be done without a guide, I feel like a guide would add value to our group for language and cultural reasons, and it is the beginning of the 2 week trip so having someone provide insight early for our group would be helpful then instead of at the end. Does anyone know a certified hiking guide/ company who would offer a 3 day guided tour out of Kamikochi for the Karsawa or Yarigtake tour.
Thank you!

Old Apr 16th, 2023, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by andreachristensen807
it seemed they might have been offended by my asking a few questions about liability insurance and safety that are required for my hiking group....
Although I believe this hike can be done without a guide, I feel like a guide would add value to our group for language and cultural reasons..
If you feel confident you can do this hike on your own without the guide (in a physical sense), then why freak out any prospective guides you are asking with concerns about liability insurance? If you can provide your own insurance (and state this when contacting) and are just looking for a someone to be a guide for "language and cultural reasons", you may get a better response.

Also, 10-12 people can be a lot for one guide. Keeping an eye on everyone and/or having you all moving at the same pace is almost impossible for one person to do with that many.

FYI, in Japan every year lots of people, especially those who are slightly elderly and in groups, go out hiking thinking they are fit and fine, and then find they are under-prepared and have severe accidents. No guide wants to become famous in the news this way. It only takes one less-than-ready member (or one over-confident member) to cause a major problem.
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for those thoughts. I understand what you are saying. However, regarding the questions and liability insurance, it is required for the hiking club to which our group of hikers belong, and not an option. The organization has it's own liability insurance, and everyone who will be hiking has their own medical insurance, but the club requires that we ask the history of the guide company that we are hiring. Given the same concerns that you mention could be the potential hazards, I think you probably understand why they ask for that.
If you have recommendations for anywhere to find guides other than Viator or Explore-Share, please let me know.
Thank you!
-Andrea
Old Apr 17th, 2023, 12:29 AM

I am interested in working with an English-speaking hiking guide for a 3 day, night hut stay starting and ending in Kamikochi with a group of 10-12 adults.
The guides I have found (2 different ones) declined to take our group, as it seemed they might have been offended by my asking a few questions about liability insurance and safety that are required for my hiking group, and after several emails of confirming and asking questions they denied to continue the conversation even though I offered to pay a deposit and confirm the tour. Since this happened twice, I'm beginning to think it is a cultural thing that guides don't want to be questioned.
Although I believe this hike can be done without a guide, I feel like a guide would add value to our group for language and cultural reasons, and it is the beginning of the 2 week trip so having someone provide insight early for our group would be helpful then instead of at the end. Does anyone know a certified hiking guide/ company who would offer a 3 day guided tour out of Kamikochi for the Karsawa or Yarigtake tour.
Thank you!
I believe that the cultural factor is not that the guides prefer not to be questioned, but that insurance is not a common requirement in Japan. That may be your difficulty in getting a guide if that is the requirement of your group.
Old Apr 17th, 2023, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I should mention, at this point, we are willing to waive that requirement of having liability insurance, but I don't have any other options than the two who said they aren't interested.
Old Apr 17th, 2023, 02:32 PM

Thank you! I should mention, at this point, we are willing to waive that requirement of having liability insurance, but I don't have any other options than the two who said they aren't interested.
Then a "reboot" may be in order. Try contacting those people again. Apologize for any misunderstanding, and ask if you both can start discussions again about working together for a wonderful trip. That may be the most expedient action at this point. Then conclude things quickly without going back and forth much.

The term to use is Sumimasen. Gokai shitemashita (please excuse the misunderstanding or confusion).

Best of luck!