Saigon/Siem Reap/Thailand Trip needs Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just beginning to start planning for the next Asian trip after Japan in November. In December 2008 and January 2009 I would like to fly to SGN, spend three days there, take the Mekong River cruise (8 days), spend three days in Siem Reap, ????? for the next ten days and fly home (CA) from Bangkok. I am a FF with United and could possibly upgrade the long trips across the Pacific unless there is a great reason to go with another airline? I would appreciate suggestions for the ten days left blank ... do not wish to spend much time in Bangkok and really do not want to fly around too much. Preferences are for scenic, good service, non commerical.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 11:20 AM

Thai Air and Singapore Air are much superior to United. You can use your United miles on either. They are Star Alliance members. You just call United, wade through the endless nonsense of their call center and book your flights. The FF seats go fas, so call very soon after the 331st day before your return flight.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 11:52 AM

I always buy coach tickets and upgrade using miles. United is one of the few airlines that allows you to do that. Typically, you must book your flights 11 months in advance to get upgraded seats. So while Thai and Singapore are superior airlines, I've had good expereinces with United, and you can't beat their upgrade with miles deal.

If you are really interested in the temples at Angkor, you'll want more than three days there. I spent a week and saw over two dozen temples, but not nearly all of the accessible temples.

Have you been to Bangkok before? If not, you will want some time in this exciting city. I'm not sure what you want to fo in Thailand - are you wanting a beach or a off-the-track place in Northern Thailand? Scenic is easy to come by in many places. Good service sounds like you want something more upscale. Non-commercial... not sure what you mean by that.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 12:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As usual, I agree with Kathie that you should consider spending more time in Siem Reap. Then you could see more of Cambodia - if you go overland to Thailand Battambang is an easy detour, or you could head to the coast at Kampot and/or Sihanoukville. My trip report for Cambodia, including those places, is at www.wilhelmswords.com/asia2002, and you could also take a look at talesofasia.com, which has loads of info on traveling in Cambodia.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

The sites given have been very helpful. I think three days is all I can afford with Siem Reap and temples. Does anyone have favorite hotels there? In the under $100 price range? What about hotels in Bangkok? From what I am reading, I may spend more time in Bangkok than I had originally anticipated. And if you had to pick just one other area in Thailand because of time restraints, what would it be? By "non-commercial" I mean we do not like chain type hotels and very touristy places. I could go either water or mountains.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 04:20 PM

I visited Thailand (Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Ko Pha Ngan) and Siem Reap about two years ago. While in Siem Reap we had a fantastic guide, Ponheary Ly. I've posted her email and phone number in other posts...just search her name and many posts will come up, with (as far as I know) all positive reviews. She'll arrange a driver and her family runs a guesthouse (Marina something...). It sounds like you're looking for more of a hotel, but my sister and I enjoyed her guesthouse. The rooms and were simple but clean, comfortable, had a/c, cable (satellite?) tv, and a fridge that always had new bottles of water whenever we returned, for $15 a night. It was great to have a personal connection with Cambodia, having heard her stories and met her family (they took a trip to the border with us when we left). It was also nice to know that the money we were spending in Cambodia was staying in Cambodia, rather than going to foreign hotel investors.
Have fun!

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34770079
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

The guide, Ponheary Ly, sounds exactly what we would like. I took down her email and phone number as posted and will be certain to get the reading in before we leave. I am still looking for hotel suggestions for Bangkok and places in Thailand if anyone out there can help.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 07:47 PM

In Bangkok, I always recommend staying along the river. It will be hard to find a river hotel for under US$100.

For another stop, consider northern Thailand, perhaps a place like the Fern Resort in Mae Hong Son or the Chiang Dao Nest. Do a search here and read about these.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've stayed at the Menam Riverside in Bangkok for considerably less than $100 (less than half as much). While it's not a luxury hotel, it has a pool, restaurant, great river views and large, comfortable rooms. See www.bangkok.com/menam-riverside-bangkok/, although I booked through one of the discount sites.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 04:31 AM

We had Ponheary book a hotel for us in Siem Riep. She got a very good deal for us. Much better than we could have done on our own. I think it was $90 per night at the Prince D'Angkor. Just E-mail her and tell her your hotel budget. She can help.

Also, you might want to take a look at the many posts on the Ponheary Ly Foundation to see an organization established by a loyal Fodorite providing assistance to schools in the SR vicinity.