Ryokan/Kaiseki

Feb 17th, 2005, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Ryokan/Kaiseki

My husband & I would like to stay at a ryokan. Is it worth it or should we just splurge on a great kaiseki meal? Other questions...
Are there any nice ryokan in the tokyo area?
Besides Hiiragiya, what are suggestions in Kyoto?
Has anyone stayed at Seikoro?

Any and all suggestions are very welcome. Thanks in advance.
Feb 18th, 2005, 03:51 AM
emd

monkey: As you know, we are not opting for ryokan stay for various reasons. But I did alot of research on ones in Hakone, which seems to be a great area to stay in one.

Here are some places I found that we considered:

Gora Kadan: on shore of Lake Ashi, spectacular
see:http://gorakadan.com/

Several others described at:
http://www.jtb.co.jp/japannpw/PLANNI...nning16-2.html
On that page, see Ryugu Den (new bldg.) and do soem searching for that one- it is the only one that has a full view of top part of Mt. Fuji from the rooms, as it is on the end of Lake Ashi where you get the view. From my research, only two hotels/ryokans get full Fuji view on Lake AShi, that one, and the Hakone Hotel.

Also on same page, we considered Takumi No Yada Yoshimatsu. Very good reviews on internet.

And Mikawaya Ryokan, on same page.

Also see: Seihikaku Terumoto at
http://www.japanhotel.net/hotel.asp?/HotelID=100

Feb 18th, 2005, 09:22 PM

Staying at a fine traditional ryokan is pricey, but totally worth it, in my opinion. It is a much different experience than just having a kaseki meal.

In Kyoto, the most famous ones are Hiiragiya and Tawaraya, but my very favorite is the lovely little Kinmata. All three are in the same area. I think it's really worth it to splurge for one night at a traditional Kyoto ryokan.
Feb 18th, 2005, 11:06 PM

We loved Sumida Ryokan in Kyoto. It is also near Hiiragiya and Tawaraya.

If you are going to pay for a kaiseki meal, and stay in a nice hotel, you might as well pay about the same amount and get both in the same beautiful room.

To me, staying in a ryokan is the best way to really feel like you have been in Japan. The smell of the tatami, the wonderful beds, looking out into the garden, soaking in the furo, and of course the service and melals form an experience unlike any other.

Not all ryokan are the same and not all cost an arm and a leg. The Kyoto ones listed here are the Ritz Carltons of the ryokan world. We've stayed in many lovely ones in smaller towns that were quite a bit less expensive and were not as historic or famous.
Feb 18th, 2005, 11:46 PM

That should say Sumiya, not Sumida Ryokan!
Feb 19th, 2005, 03:14 AM

message to money: I put something on your other post, so check back there also
Feb 22nd, 2005, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. I think we will stay at a Ryokan one night. Does anyone know anything about Seikoro? Currnetly, we are booked at theWestin Miyako both nights in Kyoto. Seikoro is also in East Kyoto, so I thought it may make it easier when we have to lug our stuff around. What's the deal with storing luggage in Tokyo? I'd rather not bring everything.