Notices

Ryokan in Kyoto

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ryokan in Kyoto

Hi!
Can any one recommend a Ryokan centrally located in Kyoto - preferably one with private baths and within 150 - 200 US range?
I rather be centrally located than private baths but in a perfect world it would have both
Thanks, Melissa
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 07:53 AM

Melissa913,

We have a reservation for a Ryokan that is centrally located. As we have not yet taken our trip, I cannot say how it will be. The Ryokans all charge per person, so the cost will depend on how many people you have.
We reserved the cottage at Hirota Guest House. I spoke to Hirota on the phone (her english is very good!) and she sent us a Christmas postcard, which was very nice. We were able to reserve the cottage because we have 3 people. Because we have the cottage, we have our own bathroom - don't know about bath though, I think that's shared.
When are you going? If it's later than our trip, I could let you know . We'll get back from Japan on March 29.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Hi angethereader,
Thanks for your reply. I'll actually be in Kyoto before you I've made reservations at the Nagomiyado Towa Ryokan. Hopefully all will be well.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 05:38 PM

The Towa has an interesting website:
http://www.kyotowa.jp/english/index.html

it says it is a traditional ryokan however many of the furnishings are modern. The About page tells that the place was remodeled last year. It does look fresh.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 07:02 AM

We stayed at ryokan Shimizu in Kyoto in November for one week and I definitely recommend staying there as it fits your budget and is conveniently located (it's about 10 minutes from the train station and if you want to travel around Kyoto, the bus is necessary in any case - the bus depot is located right in front of the train station). The price per person was Y5250 (breakfast not included but can purchased - which we did twice and it was very filling), and we definitely enjoyed our stay at Shimizu.