Ryokan in Kyoto

Search

Ryokan in Kyoto

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2019, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ryokan in Kyoto

we are looking for a ryokan in Kyoto but they all seem to be very expensive. Any suggestions? It’s our first time in japan and we wanted to stay in a Japanese style accommodation
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 04:15 PM
kja

Most ryokan are expensive -- at least the ones that are traditional and include the things that make ryokan such a special experience for a night or (at most) two.

You might look at other places you plan to visit. Or perhaps Nara, which is just a short distance away.

If all you want is a tatami room, no need for a ryokan.
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Expecting to find an affordable ryokan is a bit like expecting to find an affordable restaurant with three Michelin stars. It is a luxury product. You may also have a problem finding one that will take foreigners.

What do you mean by "Japanese style accommodation"? I stay in Japanese business hotels, designed for Japanese businessmen. Are they not Japanese style? Even though they have beds rather than tatami mats?

But maybe you should be looking for a minshuku rather than a ryokan.
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 06:35 PM
tt7

As has been suggested, ryokan tend to be expensive, which is why we've never stayed in one. As also suggested, Minshuku may provide what you are looking for, at a cheaper price point. Personally, we've always stayed in a hotel or an AirBnB apartment - and for hotels we usually opt for a 'Japanese' hotel, i.e., not one that is part of some large international (which usually = American) chain such as Hilton, Hyatt, Sheraton, Ritz-Carlton, Mandarin Oriental, Intercontinental etc. - for us, they are way over-priced and we have no interest in their 'facilities'.

As thursdaysd mentioned, there are a number of Japanese business hotels (Toyoko Inn, Dormy Inn, APA amongst others) that provide more reasonably priced accomodation. Japanese hotel rooms tend to be smaller that what you are probably used to (in some cases, a lot smaller....) but we've always found them perfectly adequate. If there are two of you (and I assume there are as you said "we"), be wary of any bed description that says "small double" or "semi-double". These are often to be found in the Japanese business (and other) hotels - the bed will be roomy for a single business traveller but decidedly cosy for two people sharing (particularly if they are Westerners). If available, better to opt for twin beds. Hotel websites often give the dimensions of the bed, so get your tape measure out so you can compare it with the size of bed you're used to.

If what you're looking for is the experience of sleeping on a futon on a tatami mat floor, some Japanese hotels may have that option (as well as Western-style rooms). In particular, AirBnB apartments may offer that option (in addition to Western-style beds) although in some cases it may be a way of cramming more people into the apartment!
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 06:55 PM
kja

Perhaps I should add: I did spend a night in a traditional ryokan (but not in Kyoto -- mine was in Miyajima), and it was a highlight of a highlight-filled trip. It took some work to find one that I could afford and that was highly rated and that fit into my itinerary; it was worth every minute of that search.
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 11:41 PM

You might try searching for Japanese style rooms in regular hotels. The Kyoto Central Inn has both western and Japanese style rooms. The western will have beds, chairs, nightstands, etc., The Japanese rooms will have a futon on the floor and low tables and chairs. They can often be quite nice and give you a taste of Japanese style living without the cost of a ryokan. On site like Booking.co, look for hotels that are in an area you like, then when you go to choose a room, you'll see some rooms that say "2 twin beds" or "queen bed", and (usually further down) rooms that say something like "3 futon beds". Often the price quoted includes 2 people, whereas ryokan are almost always per person.

A lot of time you can tell from the exterior shot of the hotels if they will have Japanese rooms...the entry will just look more traditional. We prefer the japanese rooms as they are usually more spacious, and they feel like you are really in Japan!
Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 06:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My problem with Japanese style rooms is not sleeping on the floor (although these days that might be more of a problem), but that there is usually a shortage of places to put things.

Can't help with Kyoto, but I stayed here in Tokyo: https://www.f-kamogawa.jp/english/ Not fancy, and it didn't do dinner when I was there. Seems it does now, but I doubt it would come close to a high end place.