Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Robbie says ayubowan from Boganwanthalawa

Dec 28th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Translation: Hello, may peace be with you. Sending greeting from the golden valley of tea. We've had a fabulous four days at Tea Trails and are heading to Yala in the morning. Thank you Kathie, Craig and Dogster for your advise and encouragement about visiting Sri Lanka. Thus far in 10 days we have encountered no Americans but have met some wonderful local folks. Will write up my notes when I get home. I'm packing up your tea tonight Kathie. Happy New Year to all.
Dec 28th, 2008, 09:38 AM

Don't forget that packed lunch tomorrow.

Dec 28th, 2008, 09:42 AM

Robbie, I'm so glad you are enjoying Sri Lanka! It's an amazing place. And follow dogster's advice about the packed lunch. We should have gotten a packed lunch rather than stopping at the rest house where Cheryl got food poisoning.

And thanks so much for buying the tea for me!

Enjoy the rest of your time in Sri Lanka. I'm really looking forward to your report on the places we didn't get to - like Yala.
Dec 28th, 2008, 09:47 AM

Ayubowan to you too, Robbie. Glad you enjoyed TT. Anxious to hear about Yala - I really regret missing out on that.

I don't recall seeing any Americans the whole time we were in SL.

Thanks for checking in - we were thinking about you and Fred...
Dec 28th, 2008, 10:54 AM

anxious to hear all about it when you have time....is fred behaving??
Dec 28th, 2008, 10:06 PM

Hi Robbie- was just wondering if you had gone off on your trip, and here you are! Hope you and Fred and having a wonderful time!

Can't wait to read your report and maybe see your pictures too.

Dec 28th, 2008, 10:35 PM

Hi and great to hear that you are in Sri Lanka, hope you have a wonderful time.... We seem to be having a spot of nice weather these days after some incessant rain over the past few weeks so your lucky.
Dec 31st, 2008, 09:29 AM

You mean you actually left sacred, Pasadena, Rose Parade grounds to be in Sri Lanka? Mais, non! You're grounded!

I don't blame you though. For the 20 years that I lived 2 blocks from the Rose Bowl, it drove me batty. So, I also started leaving Pasadena at this time of the year. Smiles.

Glad that you two are having a great time in Sri Lanka! Keep having fun and can't wait to hear the trip report. I've been trying to plan a trip there for over a decade, but every time I was in the process, they'd start blowing up things...like government buildings, etc. Hopefully I'll get there some day. Smiles. Happy Travels!
Dec 31st, 2008, 11:56 AM

I postponed visiting in 2009 because of all the travel warnings, esp concerning Yala. It'll be nice to hear your point of view.
Dec 31st, 2008, 11:19 PM
Original Poster

A full report will have to wait until I get home. Thank you all for your good wishes and happy new year I really enjoyed the mobile tented safari in Yala despite the leopards eluding us. Now we're lounging by the pool at Galle Fort Hotel, a wonderful place to which we imported all the dirt and dust Yala could
spare. Yes, Bob, Fred is behaving. But then he is always behaving, it's just how he's behaving that can be a worry.
This afternoon we're going to do some touring in the countryside. Christopher from Galle Fort has recommended some off the beaten trail excursions. So much to the dismay of our driver, he will pick us up about 3 for afternoon adventures. Tomorrow we go to Bentota and then Colombo and home.
Dec 31st, 2008, 11:27 PM

As it so happens, Robbie, your host Mr. Christopher is a man of my long acquaintance. Tell him his old pal 'Nidgy' from Melbourne says Hi!

Who knows - he might tell you a secret or two about Mr. Dogster. I could certainly tell you a secret or two about Mr. Christopher. Lol lol lol.

Jan 1st, 2009, 04:50 AM

Substitute the words 'Mr. Karl' for Mr. Christopher and you might get a better response. lol.

Jan 2nd, 2009, 09:30 AM

Keep having fun. Happy Travels!