Notices

rkkwan...Question 4 U

Old Nov 20th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rkkwan...Question 4 U

Hi..can u tell me how we would go about getting to the starting point of the new cable car that goes to Lantau?? And how was it?.I was reading your report, but i don't think you mentioned how you got there...(maybe i missed it!!) Also we will be staying at the Salisbury YMCA..Thanks.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 09:10 PM

Take the MTR to Tung Chung Station and then the skyrail to Lantau.

rrkwan took a different route to the Ngong Ping. He took the ferry to Mui Wo, bus to Tai O, bus to Ngong Ping. From N. Ping, he rode the skyrail to Tung Chung and MTR back to Kowloon.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 04:48 AM

Thanks j_4tay for the clarification.

Let me explain better. The Skyrail goes from Tung Chung to Ngong Ping.

Tung Chung is on Lantau, across from the airport, and is the end of the Tung Chung MTR line.

From Central, go to the "Hong Kong" MTR stop at the same place as the Airport Express. They run the same route; from Kowloon, take the Tseun Wan Line (red on map) to Lai King, and switch to the Tung Chung Line.

Before the opening of the Skyrail, only way to get to Ngong Ping is by bus, and all routes are still available. The two with direct connections are:

#2 from Mui Wo, where the ferry from Central arrives.

#23 from Tung Chung MTR. So, if you want to take MTR both ways to Tung Chung and skip the ferry, but don't want to ride the Skyrail roundtrip, you can take Bus #23 instead of the the Skyrail for one of the trips.

My trip to Tai O is an extra excursion.

[The bus system on Lantau has a pretty cool numbering system. Think Mui Wo as nil, Tai O as 1, Ngong Ping as 2, Tung Chung as 3. So, Bus from Mui Wo to Ngong Ping is #2, Tung Chung to Ngong Ping is #23, Tai O to Ngong Ping is #21, etc...]
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply...i was busy all week to read replies...It does sound confusing to me, but i will print off your instructions and hopefully we will find our way..I am actually excited to do this as we didn't go to Lantau...when we were in HKG last time!!

Old Nov 29th, 2006, 07:26 PM

Oh, I just read that you're staying at the Salisbury YMCA. Let me give you step by step itinerary. You can do it in reverse. Doesn't matter.

- Star Ferry to Central
- Walk west from new Star Ferry next door to ferry for Mui Wo.
- Take Bus #2 to Ngong Ping
- Cable car down to Tung Chung
- MTR to Lai King, switch across platform back to Tsim Sha Tsui.

[If you want to do Tai O as well, take #1 bus from Mui Wo to Tai O, then #21 to Ngong Ping.]

Very easy.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, i am sure we will find our way...I just have this fear of instructions..It never fails, we always get on the wrong bus or something!!!!! But in the end we get there!!

Also where can we go to an authentic Dim Sum? Last time we went to the Kowloon Hotel (i think they don't have it anymore)..
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 08:15 PM

Easiest from the YMCA Salisbury is to go to Serenade at the Cultural Center, right across Salisbury Road from your hotel.