Restaurants in Puxi near to Le Royal Méridien Shanghai

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are heading off to Shanghai soon and will stay at the Meridien. We are interested in most styles of food and would be grateful for some interesting recommendations near to our hotel. Thank you for your advice.
Old May 10th, 2009, 03:15 AM

I would like this, too. I hope to stay here again next winter. Great hotel!

One place that is within an easy walk is the much-lauded xlb (soup dumpling) shop, Jia Jia Tang Bao. It is bare bones but the food is fabulous!

You can also walk to the Bund from the hotel.
Old May 10th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Original Poster

We seek your knowledge Shanghainese ? What are the local standout restaurants - Chinese and Western at the moment near to the Meridien ?

Thank you all for any help you can provide to us new visitors.
Old May 11th, 2009, 01:34 PM

Check out my link to my trip report (below) on Shanghai from last November. I included several restaurants. But as I recall most of the restaurants right around Le Meridian were either very small local places or part of a hotel. The Bund is only about a 15 minute walk and there are several places there. And Xintiandi which has numerous restaurants is only a 10 minute inexpensive cab ride. There are several restaurants within the Meridian itself. We tried the italian which was fine and the seafood restaurant is also supposed to be good. Have a great trip.

http://www.fodors.com/community/asia/shanghai-14.cfm
Old May 11th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help Paulo59.

Where can we get the best coffee in Shanghai - i.e. where is the best barista with espresso machine, real milk and freshly roasted coffee beans ??
Old May 11th, 2009, 07:57 PM

Right across the street from the Meridian is a place we went to breakfast almost everyday. Blue Mountain Jamaica or something like that (details in my trip report). I only ever had a daily cappuccino there though and it was ok but they had all sorts of specialty coffee beans and brews. And then just two doors down from that is another coffee place whose name is escaping me right now. There are 2 Starbucks within walking distance, one is basically under the Meridian but you have to go down to the entrance level of the hotel and then walk around to the other side of the building to get there. The staff at all of these places aim to please so just ask.

My favorite coffee though was from Paul's which is a French pastry place that I have also found in London and Paris (not sure where the company is really based) that makes the most wonderful french style pastries. The espresso I had there which I got with a side shot of steamed milk to add as I wished was the best coffee I had in Shanghai. Paul's is located in Xintiandi. I believe all these thoughts are in my trip report.
Old May 12th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Original Poster

Hi Paulo. We will read your trip report with great interest. Thank you for all your efforts in educating us on our first visit to Shanghai.

We will go to Pauls.

Starbucks could not please even if I had lost my taste buds. Blue Mountain sounds a bit funny because the real Blue Mountain coffee beans from Jamaica sell at about 15 times the cost of most other varieties. The Blue Mountain image is a strong marketing symbol though. Will be particularly interested in your restaurant comments.
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:17 AM

When you finish with Paulo's great report, here is another one; you will find Shanghai in the middle of the report, after Seoul and Beijing. There is a lot of food detail. Breakfast at the Meridien is quite a spectacle!

http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...g-shanghai.cfm
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Original Poster

Great - will have to walk miles to work the breakfast off. I have spent a lot of time organising a 7 week around the globe celebration trip. I have locked in all the accommodation as of tonight. So now I will start to read to get the best out of each day. Really appreciate your pointing me to the best trip reports for Shanghai. Thanks again.