Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Report to follow, in the meantime, an apology and a belated thank you!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2010, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of you may recall, myself, my husband and two daughters planned a trip to India in November 2009.

We did it!

Unforseen personal circumstances have delayed my trip report, one excuse is that I have lost my job (though I suppose having been redundant should free up more of my time!). I am sorry for not reporting back and I will get around to it. I haven't even sorted through our photos - nearly a thousand (no regrets just a few deletions).

I did thank posters at the time I was jotting down tips and advice but I want to say thanks again and I will be back with information to pass on for others.

We all had a fantastic time and our daughters really, really enjoyed India. We would not have done things any differently. The girls did not get sick once and hubby and I escaped with a couple of days Delhi belly.

We did everything we wanted, shouldn't have done and more. We let the girls out of our sight, we ate street food, we stayed in a "place" that cost less than INR200 per room per night (ok it was on Neil Island and perfect for our needs) we travelled from Varanasi to Kolkata by overnight train (WOW). We all hung out with travellers for a night or two. (Our 10 year old was asked to draw herself how she wanted to see herself when she finished her education, her friend drew a Barrister/Counsel and our daughter drew herself with a backpack and a passport!)

Dogster's push to have a "safe capsule" for travel etc was a good one and those of you who have used (and continue to use Ramesh Meena of India by Car and Driver) know he's probably the best driver in India.

Indianapearl, Dogster, Lcuy, travelaw, marija, live42day, spassvogel, thursdaysd - you all gave great advice and tips. Thanks to those I haven't named too.

For us, taking the children to India, really was no more difficult than planning a trip to Europe.

We were glad to have the car and driver at the start of the trip but when it was time for our overnight train journeys we were ready to go it alone. We would not have missed all the independent travel - it made our trip or, rather meeting the people we met did. More of that in our report.

The safari was brilliant even though we missed those elusive cats. The girls took the burning ghats in Varanasi in their stride together with the rest of the "stuff" other people thought our girls shouldn't be exposed to. We loved Agra and Kolkata.

Yes it was noisy and busy and dirty but I still see India with rose-tinted spectacles.

My redundancy payout was statutory and therefore a pittance and I don't have the heart or stomach for an industrial tribunal; meaning I won't be booking tickets to India for us for this year (not unless I have 2 more G&T's at least!)

I will get all the facts and figures together soon and report here. I hope I have some useful information to offer.

Thanks again you guys.
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 02:23 PM

Great to hear your trip was all you hoped it would be. My only concern was illness and you seem to have escaped any serious problems. I'd have loved for my son to see the burning ghats in Varanasi. Perhaps someday . . . he's about to become a father himself.

Ram is a treasure that those of us who've worked with him know. Looking forward to your report!!!
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 02:23 PM

Congratulations on a successful trip. Glad Fodor's was able to help. If you are inclined to post a complete report, rest assured we will read it...
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 02:37 PM

I was just wondering recently if you had gone on the trip. Can't wait for the details!
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 06:27 PM

How great! good to see you back here MrsM! Looking forward to hearing about ALL of it. I'm really pleased our suggestions weren't complete crap. I'll be reading.

Give long-suffering hubby and amazing kids cyberhug from me.
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 02:05 AM

Good start. Keep the details pouring in. I'm in charge of the penalty allocation for late reports and I'm feeeling a little generous recently, so we are going to let you slide. It's wonderful to hear about people that enjoy Asia as much as we.
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 04:38 AM

Looking forward to a full report. Great start.
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 07:00 AM

looking forward to more when you have time
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 07:42 AM

I hope you're not teasing us again, Mrs.Marge:

http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...d-children.cfm!

We're still patiently waiting for that report. I hope your Easter duties don't interfere...
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 02:07 PM

MrsMarge seems to be a good-hearted soul who goes to great lengths to host her friends and family at holidays. Plus she has two daughters at home. Plus she has a full-time job.