Renting an Apt in BKK

Old Jul 21st, 2013, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Renting an Apt in BKK

I have noticed that no one seems to suggest staying in a regular apt in BKK. I see posts about serviced ones. Many times we stay in apts and wondered if that is a feasible option for BKK? What are the downsides or reasons they don't seem to be a popular option in BKK?
When researching about a driver I came across this url for apts which look nice and seem reasonably priced. I note they are across the river from the Mandarin Oriental.
www.TheRiverSideBangkok.com/
Comments would be appreciated. thanks
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Usually renting an apartment (rather than a serviced apartment) makes sense only if you are doing an extended stay. Guenmai has researched this and hopefully, she will wander by the Asia Forum and see your question.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 01:10 PM

Not all the apartment building they list are created equal. I've toured The River and the buildings are lovely, indeed. Some of the others not so much.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 01:12 PM

I stayed at Emporium once in Bkk, they are serviced apartments. Would stay again for sure. Have just recommended to a friend who is going in 2 weeks time and go an amazing rate.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 03:36 PM

this is a huge bldg. just across from river city shopping center. I have never heard of tourists staying there, but they must. it's older, which to me translates as worn and not as nice. I think largely it is a thai apartment bldg. with locals living there who you see getting onto and off of their river boat.

we have stayed in several serviced apartments which gives you many of the benefits of a hotels without the costs and all the extra services.

we have stayed at:

Marriott mayfair--great location on an amazing street.
Marriott sukhumvit park on soi 24---again good location a couple of blocks behind the emporium mall. it has access from both rama IV and sukhumvit--a real plus.
chatrium riverside---good location right on the river with a free boat to taskin skytrain stop..

all of these are not much more than $100 per night, cheaper for longer stays.

we have toured center point silom--nice, it's sister on langsuan, same street as Marriott mayfair...both nice and slightly cheaper
we also toured emporium suites behind the mall--very nice.
we have visited the Marriott sathorn too.

they allow you tons of room over a conventional hotel room or suite.. some have room service, some provide breakfasts, all have front desks and doormen to get taxis and give directions...

while walking along many of the sois off of sukhumvit, I have often seen signs for rentals in the many many apt. bldgs. there.

you might also look in the bkk post newspaper on line.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 04:48 PM

The River is not fully open yet and it's a condo. I am pretty sure that they don't do short term rentals but then again I haven't check. If you choose an apartment I would choose from those that classify themselves as "service apartment".
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 05:02 PM

The older building Bob is referring to is the Baan Choaphraya. I've seen ads on VBRO for apartments in this building. The photos have not appealed to me. These are apartments you rent from the owner - they are not serviced apartments.

Hanuman, one of the apartments being advertised on the site is in The River. It says it will consider long term lets (more than a month). I'm guessing the apartment is in the first building that went up. I know they were not supposed to allow short-term rentals in that building, but I wonder if that has changed.

Many of the regular apartments that you would rent from the owner only allow longer term leases. And there are some potential problems renting from the owners. One of the apartments Guen was interested in did not come with a telephone, for instance. And, of course, there have been problems with scams on VBRO.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

The River has lots of reviews by short term rentals for ome of the apts. The address to contact them is an email in England.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 05:13 PM

There is another apartment building that someone here on fodors tried out. They really enjoyed their apartment. Was it Mary from south of Perth? I hope she will chime in here. I'm not sure how the apartment was rented, through VRBO or another similar outfit.

I just stayed in an apartment in Paris (guenmai's favorite one). I really liked the space and the location, BUT when it comes to a choice between this type of rental and a hotel or serviced apartment.... I have to say that there were times when a concierge desk would have come in VERY handy!

DS stays at Omni Tower (not my first choice) on soi 4. His apartment is rented from the rental agency in the basement and is not one of the serviced apartments from the front desk. He has to pay a maid to come clean a couple of times a week, plus I think he pays his electric bill (and maybe water?). If I were to go this route, I'd definitely want something newer (and better located) than Omni. I have stayed in this bldg in the past, several times, and have rented from the front desk so I got a serviced apartment.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Oops, sorry the reviews are for apts in the other bldg, Baan ChoapHraya. there appears to be only one apt advertised in The River. I sent an email to the contact for more info.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 05:21 PM

The River is a big condo with lots or units. They must not be able to sell all the condo units and some business entity purchased a bunch of rooms and are now renting them out on short term basis. Usually for a proper condo they will not allow this so I would becareful as once there's a tenant association they might put a stop to this.

There's a service apartment on the river in between the Shangri-la and Oriental that looks quite nice. I don't remember the name but perhaps you can search for it.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 06:21 PM

www.airbnb.com

Happy Travels!
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 06:54 PM

Yes, I've seen lots of reviews for Baan Choaphraya.

Hanuman, Cheryl and I toured The River's model home while they were building it. I continued to get emails offering units for several years after that. I do think they were having trouble selling all of the units. I agree that the Homeowner's association would be very likely to object to short-term rentals.

yestravel, I agree with the recommendations of others to go the serviced apartments route.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 08:09 PM

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/140811

The above apartment is one that I had considered for Jan 2013/Feb 2013 and was on e-mail with the owner who was very receptive. The apartment wasn't going to be available during the time I was to be there, but I was told that he had a friend who rented hers out and that he could contact her and try to get me a rental at her apartment. The apartment is in Baan Choaphraya. And it was interesting to read that the above owner is the co-founder of Move and Stay as it was off that list that I got ideas for serviced apartments and stayed in two serviced apartments, selected off that list, nearly a decade ago.

I ended up booking two other apartments, one in Silom and one in Sukhumvit, but unfortunately had to cancel my trip a few weeks before my scheduled departure date. But, the owners were great and wished my sick parent well. I'm still on e-mail with one of the owners and was recently told that the rental business is so good that he and his wife have just bought two more apartments.

Happy Travels!
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 08:32 PM

The River apartments:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1394390

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/729015

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/964896

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1164527

When I was researching apartments last year, a few popped up in The River building, but they were super expensive. The prices have obviously come way down.

Happy Travels!
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 08:40 PM

As for serviced apartments, I've stayed at Emporium Suites since 2005 and if I were to go back to a serviced apartment, that would be my personal first choice.

Happy Travels!
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info -- decisions, decisions.
Here's what I got back from the rental agent. I believe this is in the bldg that Kathie said was the older building. Any coments on the apt?

Jasmine: http://www.theriversidebangkok.com/detailsjasmine.htm
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to thank you, Guenmai -- Of the apts you listed only one apt was available during the time we will be there. I didn't like it so much.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 11:35 PM

This is the apartment I rented 2years ago. We were there for nearly a month but you can rent a shorter time

http://www.tripadvisor.com/VacationR...I-Bangkok.html

I liked the apartment a lot. It was well equipped and well kept and belongs to a couple who own and live in another apartment in the same complex. It's in the Watermark building almost opposite the Ramada Riverside hotel about half way between Taksin pier and the Marriot/Anatara.

It's very quiet - the pools are seldom used and you don't see many people around. The drawbacks were (at the time) the riverboat only went hourly and there wasn't a great choice of restaurants within walking distance. Easy enough to catch a cab though and a good massage place close by.

I use to stay in good riverside hotels in Bangkok but for years now have been using serviced apartments which I really like This apartment was lovely but I feel I like being closer to the middle of the city and having the convenience of service, restaurants and ease of access better
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 06:42 AM

Baan Sathorn Chaophraya is a different building, just across the bridge from the Taksin Pier. The Baan Chaophraya is directly across the river from River City Shopping Center. Sorry, yestravel, I don't know much about this building other than the location.

Mary, was your apartment in the Watermark? It doesn't say so in the write-up, but that is what I found in the photos. That's a very nice building. But you are right, the location means you won't be walking to restaurants.

yestravel, all of the buildings we are discussing are on the "wrong" side of the river. Just across the river there are many lovely restaurants and many local little "hole in the wall" places within easy walking distance. But these apartment buildings will have once or twice hourly shuttles across the river, which makes them less convenient.

Guen, I am a bit suspicious of the price quoted for the condo in The River. I know how much those condos cost! $1000 -1500 per week seems like a real deal - if the unit has river views. I wonder what extras one would have to pay for...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -