Recommended Travel books for Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia and/or Laos

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you recommned some travel guides you like for Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia and/or Laos? When I glanced at Amazon, it seemed like a few had bad reviews. I am in the beginning stages and trying to get an idea of where I want to go in addition to Vietnam. Thanks.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 08:33 AM

For general country guides, take a look at the Lonely Planet guides. If you want to visit Angkor, do buy Dawn Rooney's book entitled "Angkor" - get the latest edition (2006?).
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 09:11 AM

i always find frommers books the easiest to use for a general overview of a place....

fodors are second followed by many others...

i like the treasurers and pleasures group too written by ron krannich...they are more shopping based however and upscale...especially good is their thailand book: the treasurers and pleasures of thailand and myanmar...
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 09:22 AM
Jen

This really depends on the way you like to travel... I personally like Lonely Planet guides... the sights, restaurants, bars, they recommend tend to jibe with the kinds of places I like.

A good way to choose is to look at the various companies' (Fodors, Frommers, LP, TimeOut, etc.) listings for your own city/area. Do they list the things you like in your own town? Or a bunch of stuff you think is overrated crap? Chances are, the same will apply for any other area too!
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 04:28 AM

another fan of Lonely Planet here! we enjoyed every recommended restaurant in there that we tried. I would especially recommend if if you are going to places outside Bangkok. If you will just be in Bangkok, you might want to look for a city-specific guidebook as it will be thinner & easier to carry around. That said, we ended up preferring Lonely Planet's recommendations for Bangkok over the Bangkok-specific book we'd found.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 06:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depends on whether you want a book to help decide where to go, or one to take with you for logistics. I like Insight, Knopf and Fodors' Exploring series for "where-to-go" planning (Eyewitness not so much). For "where-to-stay" I use Lonely Planet, Footprints, Rough Guide, Fodors and sites like this. For Asia I always use Lonely Planet when I'm actually traveling, sometimes supplemented by Footprints.
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 04:35 AM

Hello, absolutkz.
Thailand travel guides for you:
Amazing Thailand is indeed amazing to many who travel there. As one of the few countries in the region that was never colonised by Western powers, Thailand’s heritage and culture remains pure and uncompromised.
Ruins, temples and deserted cities are all part of Thailand’s allure. Don’t forget it’s world famous beaches of which there are many – Pattaya, Phuket, Krabi, Ko Samui are just some of the more noted.
Thailand is easy to travel within. Efficient transport, cheap and plentiful accommodation and the now world famous cuisine.
Airport taxes: Bt500 for all international departures. Transit passengers and children under two years of age are exempt.
Airport transfers: Bangkok International (Don Muang) is 22km (14 miles) north of the city (travel time - 40-60 minutes). There is a 24-hour bus service to the city centre. Trains also run to the city centre (travel time - 30-45 minutes). Limousines are available at all hours: service is every 20 minutes depending on flights. Taxis are also available. There is a direct coach service to Pattaya at 0900, 1200 and 1900, returning at 0630, 1400 and 1830.
Currency matters: Baht (Bt) = 100 satang. Notes are in denominations of Bt1000, 500, 100, 50, 20 and 10. Coins are in denominations of Bt10, 5 and 1, and 50 and 25 satangs. In addition, there are a vast number of commemorative coins which are also legal tender.
Foreign currencies can be exchanged at banks (which have the best rates), hotels (which charge high commissions) and, in larger towns, bureaux de change (generally open from 0800-2000). Outside large towns and tourist areas notes higher than Bt100 may be difficult to exchange and visitors are advised to carry small change.
The import and export of local currency is limited to Bt50,000 per person or Bt100,000 per family. The import and export of foreign currency is unlimited.
Drinking water: food and water-borne diseases are common. Use only bottled or otherwise sterilised (eg boiled) water for drinking, brushing teeth or making ice.
Dress code: light and cool clothes are suitable. For business, meetings, dining in top restaurants and some social functions, a jacket is appropriate. A light jacket or sweater is always advisable for Northern Thailand. Modest dress is required in temples and shrines.

More information at http://www.thailandholidayhomes.co.uk