Ratt's sister Poon in CM

Search

Ratt's sister Poon in CM

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ratt's sister Poon in CM

I know a couple of people were using Ratt's sister, Poon. Would love reports on how she worked out.

Thanks
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 02:32 PM

hi gloria...
we used Poon for 4 days, 3 nites in october. she was wonderful. she greeted us in the rain at chiang mai..after waiting for over an hour for our plane to arrive. we flew one,two,go for $35 747 flight. old plane but we got there safely after a
horrible landing. It was reassuring to
be greeted by Poon. She drove us to the Tamarind Village and we made plans to meet her in 3 days for our road trip thru northern thailand.
Poon reconfirmed the night before we left and arrived bright and early for our trip. luckily, she brought a bigger
vehicle (we had a weeks worth of shopping with us) a jeep cherokee with
leather seats and cold a/c. we had a tentative itinerary but were very open to her suggestions. off we went, us 4 ladies on an incredible,unforgettable
adventure.
our first stop was tha ton...to visit the big white buddha. the abbott at tha ton is a jovial man who loves to speak english and loved thatwe were from hawaii. "hawaii 50"...pretty amusing a lifelong monk knew hawaii 50.
we also went to an elephant camp that i do not recommend. too many people, elephants had sores from their handlers overuse of the gaffs...but it was interesting anyway. next, onto the villages where there are karen longneck women, akha tribes and craftspeople. an hour dusty detour but my companions wanted to see the villages. we bought some cool souveniers, hand loomed shawls and silver betelnut boxes. it was kinda sad...little kids with neck rings sitting there for photos.
next, onto mae salong, a chinese village on top of the mountain. thru the clouds, rain, and villages, we arrived to the sunny village of mae salong. poon was well known and each vendor offered us samples of green tea, jasmine and oolong teas grown in the mountains. the crops replaced opium and the teas are wonderful. we also bought locally grown coffee...and saw these products in bkk for $2 more. poon negotiated for us on many stops to always get the best prices. we stayed somewhere along the way..2 rooms, $28 us for both. again, poon always helped us get better rates.
next day we went to mae sai to got to myanmar (burma). not only did poon help us with our shopping, she offered to carry our bags (no way, we are big hawaiian girls) and brought us cold water and local fruits to try. in the afternoon, we headed to sop ruak to see the mekong, took her on a boat ride (she is not fond of boats) to lao, had dinner somewhere along the way $10 for 4 with beers...then onto lampang. 2 rooms for $32, all rooms on our way included breakfast buffet.
the next day we headed south to sukhotthai to see the ancient cities.
we visited a kiln built in 800 a.d.
we saw cobra skins in the kiln area where they go to cool off and molt.
we also visited an excellant local pottery barn where they make vases
and souveniers in the same process as
centuries ago. all the pottery we bought (many many items) made it home
unbroken and they are excellent treasures.
At sukhotthai...poon was put to the test with us...first...i injured my knee
from jumping over a threshold at a wat(buddhists do not step on thresholds of wats and temples). Poon came to the rescue...she had a first aid kit and a wonderful local salve to help heal me. im still using the salve...kinda like tiger balm but better. i survived but it definately slowed me down for the last two weeks of my trip.
secondly, my video camera and charger for my digital got left behind at the hotel in lampang. Poon arranged for it to be sent to ratt in bkk...and i did get it back....she was great but felt responsible...but it was my fault for not making sure the bellman loaded it with our luggage.
Poon took us to many local and off the beaten track places. her recommendations
were always good and she is wonderful.
her vehicle was comfortable...she does drive fast but slowed for us when we asked her to....
we paid for her meals (although not required) and paid for gas. she and my daughter shared a room at all our stops
and i consider her a friend and would welcome her in my home. (she spent 3 years in texas as a chef). her english is adequate and she is very knowledgeable.
for next years trip, we will call her again...
let me know if you have any questions..
there were so many great places she took us too...i will try to remember specifics...
enjoy and say hi from the hawaii girls
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 06:46 PM

diva ---nice report...how's the knee?? try some surfing to heal it...

where are you going next year??

i'm working on a return in may

bob
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for a great report. We have Poon for three days beginning Dec. 26th. Can't wait.
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 09:35 PM

our next trip is scheduled for october 2005.
we will stay at the Marriott on the river again...liked it better than the shangri=la...
lots of mosquitos at the shangri-la...everywhere on the lower level, especially at the restaurants.

we will use poon again....maybe go into myanmar for a couple of days...mae hong son for 3 days.....mekong (golden triangle)
area 3 days... then get on a boat down the
mekong to lao...luang prabang.

we also want to go back to cambodia. we
hope to find a way to "adopt" a local family...
what a heartbreaking, yet incredible trip
cambodia was.

we also want to fly from siem reap or luang prabang to vietnam....still havent figured out that part yet.

probably on to check out koh samui...we
stayed 6 nites at koh phangan...but its too
much a backpackers island for me...dont want to go back there.....

i can only take 3 weeks max vacation so we
always cram as much into each holiday as
possible...and i always wish we spent more time at each place...but....we always have an
ambitious itinerary.

bob...you were so helpful in making our trip the best ever...thank you thank you...
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 09:37 PM

p.s. my knee is still messed up...no surfing for me for awhile....
the medicine poon gave me comes in a green jar with a male doctors picture on it...like tiger balm...but it does have wonderful medicinal properties...and i still use it every night...until it runs out...then...
i will just have to go back to get more.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 04:37 AM
MichaelAsh

Hello, my wife and I are going to be in Chaing Mai for 2 weeks in february into March. How would we get a hold of Poon, and about how much was her fee for her services? Thank you very much!

Old Dec 1st, 2004, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

You reach her via her sister, Rat, in Bangkok. Email address is:
[email protected]
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:38 AM
MichaelAsh

Thank you very much for the information. Also we were interested in knowing if mosquito and bug repellant are really necessary in chiang mai? We have read conflicting information.

Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 09:32 AM

we found some mosquitos at most places we visited. the tamarind village in chiang mai had a few but with alittle
skin so soft mosquito repellant, we never were bothered.
the most mosquitos we encountered in our three week trip were at the five star hotel shangri-la in bkk. lots and
lots of mosquitos at the restaurants...