Rail pass for Tokyo to Kyoto?

Nov 19th, 2002, 06:05 PM
foos

Rail pass for Tokyo to Kyoto?

We're trying to decide whether or not to buy the JR pass for 7 days. We arrive at Narita on a Saturday and leave the following Saturday. We plan to travel round trip from Tokyo to Kyoto and back. We may also take a day trip to Kamakura. I checked the website for Japan Rail and it's about $233 per person for the pass. How would I find out the round trip ticket price to Kyoto? Is the rail pass good in Tokyo for local travel? Please advise in time for late December trip. Thanks!

Nov 20th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Kathy

I would probably get the JR Pass for your visit because 1) the cost of a round trip ticket to Kyoto alone will be more than $200, 2) you can use it to got to Kamakura, and 3) yes you can use it on the local JR lines in Tokyo. Hope that helps.

Kathy

Nov 21st, 2002, 05:34 AM
Florence

Bonjour Foos,

The cost of a roundtrip ticket to Kyoto is Yen 26440. You can find the details here

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e_charge/index.html#06

Since you can cover most of Tokyo, Nara, Kamakura, the Fuji area and Nikko with JR lines, you will certainly save lots of $ with the railpass.

Nov 21st, 2002, 05:40 AM
kathy

Forgive me for hijacking this thread for a moment.

I can't seem to post any new messages or reply to any either. This is a test to see if this problem still persists.

Nov 21st, 2002, 05:45 AM
kathy

Looks like I'm finally able to post again. Again, I apologize for using your thread for testing.

Sep 24th, 2003, 07:40 AM

Does anyone know how long the trip is using JRP from Tokyo to Kyoto and if it runs in the early morning?

Thanks!
Sep 24th, 2003, 04:15 PM

The Hikari train departing Tokyo eki at 6:13 AM stops at Shin Yokokama and Nagoya before arriving in Kyoto at 8:54 AM.

I'd get seat reservations the day before, if I could.