Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Question Regarding India Visa/Permit To Re-Enter

Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the following information on the Travisa webiste. I will be touring first in Inda, then Nepal, then back in India. If I understand correctly, I need to carry a copy of my itinerary when I re-enter India, BUT...does it have to be from the airline, tour companies used or just an itinerary schedule I compose? It's not that I can't read, I'm just being careful!

"Permit to re-enter India
This category only applies to current Tourist Visa holders who need a permit which will allow the applicant to re-enter India within 2 months after last leaving India. This permit is granted only if the need is urgent, and not for Business Activities/Employment or pursuing studies/research, etc.
If the visa holder is traveling to multiple countries on the same itinerary, no permit is needed as long as trip follows the itinerary exactly. The visa holder must carry a copy of the itinerary to show the Immigration Officer.
If a permit is granted, registration with the FRRO is required within 14 days of arriving in India."
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 11:16 PM

This is what I know as an Australian Tourist. We were told this by the Indian Consulate in Sydney last month. "A Tourist on a 6 month Tourist Visa can visit India on said visa for 6 months, single entry only. Once the Tourist visa holder exits, they must wait two months to re-enter. I believe one can apply for a permit to re-enter, however no guarantee that the permit will be issued. It would be prudent to speak to your local Consulate (or Indian Visa Centre)and apply for a Tourist Visa and Re-entry Permit in your Country of Residence. Good luck.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 05:04 AM

We did just what you are going to do. We did have multiple entry visa. At no time did anyone ask for an itinerary. We were told that visiting Nepal , esp as a tourist, is like going next door and that is not a problem. We were concerned, but it turned out to be a lot of worry over nothing. We did mention it when we first hit Indian soil and customs. Have a fab trip and relax...India has enough other things to stress over, but fun.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 06:21 AM

as my wife said it was not a problem for us in november, 2011.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 06:34 AM

However, Bob, as I remember, you did still have to get permission to re-enter. Did your passports get the "no re-entry" stamp when you left India for the first time?
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 02:41 PM

I might add that I believe citizens of the U.S. enjoy a special status with a 10 year visa available, whilst us Aussies need to reapply every six months and as a tourist can NEVER get any more than six months. I believe Indian visa regulations depend on what Country one is a Resident or Citizen of and where one applies for the visa and re-entry permit. Bob, Bru my ex, applied for a MULTIPLE entry 6 month Tourist visa late last month and was told "single entry only and you must wait for 2 months if you leave India, to re-enter". Also appears to depend on duration of last visit and how many entries one has had, over the duration of one's passport.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 03:20 PM

Yes, as a US citizen I could get a 10 year India visa. But any one stay cannot be longer than 6 months, and we also have the no re-entry for two months restriction. But they will waive that for trips to adjoining countries, as they did for Bob and Karen.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your comments. Fodorites are the best!