Question of air travel in Java, Garuda in particular

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I called the New York office of Garuda Airlines this morning to book flights between Jakarta and Jogya and was given a price of $176 round trip per person. When I mentioned that this was much higher than what their web site indicates, the agent said that price is in rupiahs and for Indonesians. Yes, the price is in the local currency but the site is in English, indicating to me that the prices are for anyone. When I asked if it would be cheaper to buy the tickets there, he never answered but said I would be taking a chance on not getting the flight I want. Fair enough.

My question is, how big of a chance would I be taking buying tickets once there? One of the tickets, back to Jakarta, could be purchased a week in advance, when we first get to Jakarta. The problem is, we need to be back in Jakarta on May 27 for a 12:45pm flight back to Bangkok and I prefer to fly from Jogya that morning rather than spend a night in Jakarta. I'm kind of leery of using budget airlines after a horrid experience with Air Asia in Malaysia so I'm loathe to reserve with one of them. Should I cough up the $176 x 2 or wait? Is there another alternative? Thanks, Laurie
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all, no matter who you fly, and especially if you fly Garuda, they're going to be horribly late. That's just the way it is in Indonesia. On-time domestic flights are something of a rarity.

Given that, fying out of Yogya in the morning to make an international connection is going to be a bit risky. You'll want to have a flight time that's no later than 8 a.m.

Since you have to be on that flight, it might be best to eat the cost. You might check with an agent, since they may often get a better deal that with the airline directly.

BTW, Indonesia isn't unique in the 'lower price for locals' practice. It's MUCH worse in Myanmar.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Michael. I'm aware of the different pricing structures for locals and foreigners but usually prices will state when this is the case. If those prices are for locals only, I can't understand why everything is in English. The price difference is huge, over $100 per person more if I reserve through the NY office. On the other had, we do ned the early morning flight. I guess I'll try a few agents and if there's little difference, I'll just go ahead and pay up. I have some time as the agent is holding the reservation until Feb 28.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:46 AM

could you try and find an indonesian agent who would help you like bali discovery tours?? or even eddie in bkk ??

bob
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:52 AM

Booking Garuda is difficult. When I was planning on central Java for Nov 2004 (I could never make the logistics come together), I contacted an agent in Singapore to help. He couldn't book my Garuda (within Indonesia) flights! Bob's suggestion of an Indonesian agent is a good one. I'd also try Eddie ([email protected])- he was wonderful to work with.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:55 AM

Oh, unlike Michael's experience, I found Garuda roughly ontime, but they routinely "lost" luggage between Jakarta and Jogja... the suitcases did eventually arrive, much later in the day. The person from the hotel said "Oh, Garuda always loses your luggage, it will come later..." So make sure you have some necessities in your carry ons.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:13 AM

Hi Laurieco, pls. keeps us posted on how you figured out to book garuda flights since we are planning a similar trip as yours for june and we have the same issue. your comments will be appreciated...thks
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 07:19 AM

Hi,
As far as I know, there is no such foreigner or local people price. My suggestion is to buy your ticket in Jakarta, ask people in the hotel or there are thousands of travel agent that sell tickets. Very easy to find. You can even buy ticket counter right at the airport for regular price. In regular season there are plenty of seats available. Enjoy.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 03:46 PM

Hi laurie, I'd recommend getting your ticket in New York. Yes, it's cheaper to buy it in Indonesia, but since you've a tight connection that you can't afford to miss, why take the chance of a full flight?

Having said that you must have a Plan B, a "what if" the Garuda flight is delayed? If there is no Plan B, then bite the bullet and spend the night in Jakarta.

We always advise travelers to claim their baggage on arrival in Jakarta and check in again for their international flights. It's inconvenient, but eliminates another element of risk. There are plenty of porters to help you transfer.

I've been flying Garuda by necessity for 10 years. They've gone from being just awful to acceptable. I think they're safe enough but their reliability is inconsistent and their communication skills non-existent. I go for months without problem, then wham! get a cancelled or delayed flight. (I've never lost luggage, though.) The problem is they tell you nothing and you never know if your flight will leave in an hour or never. It's very frustrating, but, hey, this is Indonesia.

I would avoid all the budget airlines as their safety records are worrisome. Garuda is truly the best of the worst.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

thanks marmot, I think that perhaps I will buy the tickets here in NY. I'm wondering if it's wise to trust going back to Jakarta the same day as our flight to BKK. It's a 7:40am flight and our BKK flight is 12:45. You would think that's plenty of time but.....
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:43 PM

go back a day early!!!
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

After considering all the suggestions and possibilities of delayed luggage and delayed and cancelled flights, I think it's best to go back to Jakarta and spend the night there. Maybe we can get a late flight. This way, we can also buy our tickets when we get to Jakarta the morning of May 20 for both flights, right at the airport. We get to Jakarta about 11:25am and there are a lot of flights between there and Jogya so we should be able to get on one. I wanted to spend as much time in Central Java as possible but, I'm sure we'll be back there in the future.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 04:55 AM

Laurieco,

I hope this is not interfering with your Amanjiwo plans. Mr. Ericka and I were planning our activities this week and there is so much to choose from.

We're also looking forward to the soursop . Please forgive me, I have just discovered the Fodors smileys. quot;>
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Erika, I'm not sure we're going to do the Amanjiwo. I am going to contact them and find out if they can give a lower rate. We only have two nights left to play with as we're wasting a night in Jakarta at this point and I've reserved 4 nights at the Dunsun Jogya Inn. If they can't come down in price, even just taking away that hideous 21% tax and service would be agreeable, I'm afraid the Aman may be out and the Manohara may be in for one night. I've been spending money like there's no tomorrow (new 32" LCD high def widescreen TV, wall mount for it and furniture, costs a small fortune) and I won't be able to afford Aman's inflated prices.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 01:03 PM
BnS

You might want to try to email big local travel agents like: Vayatour, Anta Tour.
However I don't know how efficient they are in replying emails.
They are based in Jakarta and have been around for a very long time, I would think that they would be reliable.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

BnS, for airline tickets or better rates an the Amanjiwo? Or both?
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 01:16 PM

Oh, that's too bad - but also nice to have a new TV.

As for getting lower prices from Aman, I believe the best approach is for you to contact them directly (Amanjiwo, not the Singapore Aman office). In my experience, some Amans are willing to upgrade to the next category of room if asked nicely. But if they would be willing to absorb the 21%++ that would really be something you should take advantage of.

Good luck!
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 02:30 PM

laurie, Don't forget the Losari Coffee Plantation. I've still not been there, but I've had excellent reports from friends.

In Jakarta I'd recommednd the Dharmawangsa.

Old Feb 24th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Marmot, I had heard that one needed to stay at either the Amanjiwo or the Manohara to get into Borobudor at sunrise but I've just looked on the Losari's site and they offer both a sunrise and sunset tour. I really want to see it at sunrise, do you know if we can get in from the Losari Coffee Plantation? I would gladly stay there for 2 nights if so.

The Dharmawangsa looks lovely, if a bit pricey. I'll check some web sites to see if I can get it cheaper.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 05:54 PM
BnS

Laurieco,
Give both a try, you never know if you are able to get a better rate for Amanjiwo, but definitely try the airfares.
Also if you are pressed for time (in Jogja) I would simply take the 7:20 flight to JKT to connect to Bkk. You've got enough buffer. It would be highly desireble to avoid Jakarta's morning traffic to the airport. But be sure to have your tickets purchased though.
Have you considered travel insurance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -