Search

Question for Kathie

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2005, 06:02 AM
CFW
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for Kathie

Kathie, Sorry to hi-jack the Asia board for a Seattle question, but since you don't post on the Washington board, thought this was the only way to get you. In between another trip to Thailand, we're meeting brother & sister-in-law who live in California in Seattle for a trip to Vancouver & Victoria. Would love some good Seattle restaurant recommendations (and other things you think are special). I grew up in California & LOVE whole cold cracked dungeness crab, which we can't get fresh in Connecticut where I now live. Any recommendations? Thanks!
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 08:57 AM

As you would guess, I can give you zillions of restaurant recommendations for Seattle. I'll start with a few. Let me know if you need other specific recommendations.

Shuckers (which is located in the Fairmont Olympic Hotel building, but with a street entrance) is famous for their oysters (raw or smoked or baked, such as Oysters Rockefeller) but they have all kinds of excellent seafood. A friend and I like to make a meal of smoked oysters, Oysters Rockefeller, their wonderful Irish Soda Bread and a bottle of Champagne.

Ray's Boathouse, on the water, north of downtown, has wonderful seafood and fabulous views. It's a good place to oder the local salmon as well as any other local seafood.

Chandler's Crabhouse located on Lake Union is probably the place for Dungeness Crab.

Want some good Thai food (since we're on the Asia board)? I like Typhoon, which is located just below the Pike Place Market (and a visit to the Market is, of course, de riguer).

For Vietnamese food, Lemongrass is excellent. They have two locations, one in the International District one maybe a mile away across from Seattle University.

For a fun breakfast, the 5 Spot on Queen Anne Hill has regional American cuisine (the region changes every couple of months). Right now they are featuring Cuban dishes.

Any other info you might be interested in?
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 07:37 AM

Kathie...I'm glad yoy wrote this information. I've ALWAYS wanted to go to Seattle. It's a shame that I seem to never be able to get to Seattle and I'm just right down here in L.A. County...it's not like it's THAT far away! I seem to be able to get overseas more easily tahn to get to Seattle! What's the best month to come to Seattle? I'm not fond of rain...or does it never stop raining there? Smiles...Happy Travels!
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 11:09 AM

Guenmai, if I tell you this, you have to promise not to tell anyone. Those of us who live here have been sworn to tell everyone that it rains all the time.

We have only rare rain in July and August and September is usually lovely as well. The rest of the year is well-represented by the T-shirt that reads "Seattle Rain Festival, October - May"
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 11:32 AM

Fabulous! Here I come,Seattle! Happy Travels!
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 11:33 AM

And if you go south a little to Portland (where I spent 4 long long years) there are 2 seasons- August and Winter and yes it does rain all the time there!
I now hail from Houston- sunshine all year long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 06:11 PM
CFW
Original Poster

Thanks for the info Kathie. We are looking forward to our brief visit this summer. Any other Seattle, Vancouver & Victoria recommendations are most welcome.