Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Question about whether microwaves available at hotels in Thailand?

Old Aug 28th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling with our 6 year old kids and I was thinking about bringing some of the old standbys in case they get are unable to find items they are used to. Do you think that microwaves would be available for this purpose? We are staying at big hotels like Mandarin Oriental and Hyatt, etc.

I am not planning on packing a whole bag of food, just a few items. In particular microwavable soup or mac and cheese. I am brining individually warpped peanut butter and trail mixes for snacks.

Thanks, Heatehr
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 06:50 PM

neither of those hotels would have a microwave in the room....in fact most would not...

maybe you should try a serviced apartment with the kids, becasue there you would have one: marriott mayfair or emporium....

it is easy to get all that stuff in supermarkets in bkk...i would not carry it....won't they eat mcdonalds....its all over the place and kentucky fried chicken, etc...
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Your right. I forgot how prevelent those things are. We just got back from Costa Rica in a little town without anything like that and they got a little tired of the food.

I guess I will not need to worry about anything like soup or mac & cheese.
Thanks, Heather
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 07:59 PM

if you stay at the marriott resort and spa there is a great mini mall out front with mcdoanalds, pizza, ice cream, etc...
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 08:23 PM

Your kid won't starve in Thailand! Thailand has plenty of KFC's, McDonalds, Burger Kings, Pizza places (I like Pizza Company better than Pizza Hut,) soft ice cream and lots of restaurants selling stuff they would recognize! McDonalds, KFC and Burger Kings sell most of the same products you find in the U.S. or Europe but at around half the price!

Thailand has lots of modern, decent supermarkets. Places like Foodland, Big C, Tops have lots of Western foods and of course Thai and other Asian foods. Foodland and Tops supermarkets often have a lunch counter selling familiar meals.

Except for serviced apartments I have never found microwaves in hotel rooms. I only stay in cheap places though. (Basic hotel room with air, hot water, TV, private toilet/shower and security box start around 600 baht.)

I often buy sliced ham, sliced cheese and bulky rolls for sandwiches (rolls half the price from what I pay in the U.S.) You can find instant noodles in the supermarkets, instant coffee too (Birdy has milk, sugar and coffee in a single serve bag - real cheap!)

Ritz crackers, sliced bread, cookies, jams, peanut butter (higher priced than in the U.S.,) potato chips, popcorn, candy bars - lots of junk food available!

I often heat water for soup and coffee in my hotel room with a "heat coil thing" that I bring with me. Sample link:
http://www.magellans.com/store/Healt...inkEF226?Args=

(You can find them cheaper than what is in this link.)
I use the same coil in airports when my planes are delayed or break down - this is normal for me - I am a cheap traveler!

(When you go out of the hotel for a walk or tour make sure you have some TP in your bag. Also, have some hand wipe things too! You won't always find TP in toilets outside your hotel. Slip a hotel card in your kids pocket in case he gets separated from you, the police can find you easier!)

Have a good trip!

Old Aug 28th, 2007, 09:26 PM

Lebua has microwaves. It's a great place to stay. Lots of room for kids.
www.lebua.com
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your replies. I will not be worrying about this at all. I am trying to pack light and this makes things much easier.

I think I am just paranoid. We were on safari last year in Africa in the middle of no where and the kids and I would be starving waiting for afternoon tea or dinner to be served. Same thing happened in Costa Rica. I am sure there will be no problem on this vacation as we will be in the city. I am sure that they will all have room service as well.

Thanks again for all of the great information.