Search

question about Bangkok map

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2006, 12:30 PM
pat
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question about Bangkok map

I bought a map and see that the streets are all listed in Thai and English. Is that what I will find when I get there? I`d hate to think my map won`t do me any good if the streets signs are actually in Thai only. Thanks!
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 01:23 PM

Actually you may find that there are no street signs at all. The map will still be helpful if it shows skytrain stops and streets like sois along Sukhumvit, for instance. The map I find most useful is Nancy Chandler's - some feel that it is not quite accurate but for the most part, I have found it to be very helpful for getting around the city.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 04:33 PM

When there are street signs, they generally have English as well as Thai. The English is too small to read when driving but if walking it's okay. Keep in mind that addresses and even street numbers don't necessarily make any sense.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 05:08 PM

some of the main areas are easy to follow....for instance as you go down sukhumvit, almost 99% of the streets off of it are sois...they are numbered in assending order but not consecutively---many numbers are skipped....and the even sois are on the right and the odd on the left....but you can have say a soi 23 opposite to a soi 14 (not actual numbers, just an example...)...

it can be very frustrating in bkk aside from the main streets....go into shops and ask for streets....often they do not know them...and taxi drivers do not either....

you will make lots of mistakes....the map will give you a general idea but not an exact idea....go with the flow...
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 06:14 PM

Getting slightly lost can be fun in BKK. Make sure you have a card from your hotel with you. That will allow you to take a Taxi and get back, even if the driver does not speak English (a not infrequent occurrence).