Private Guide for Guilin Area?

Oct 18th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Wayne

Private Guide for Guilin Area?

We are going to the Guilin area in late January 2003 and would like recommendations for private guides/drivers. Planning on 2 nights in Guilin, taking the boat ride to Yangshuo, and two nights in Yangshuo. Thanks for your help.

Oct 19th, 2002, 03:46 PM
Josh98

The Guilin region is one of the most heavily touristed and thus saturated with local guides. They range from housewives to students to "professionals", each claiming some English, a "vast" local knowledge, "inside" contacts, "deals", "visit my family in the countryside", etc. They will attack you, no need to find them. Some are quite good, others not. Ask to look at their notebook of references, written by past customers. Study those carefully. Then choose but bargain hard and make sure before you start what the price will include and when you will return. We have been there, and in fact our origins are there. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Oct 20th, 2002, 04:39 PM
Neil

Wayne, Josh98 is completely correct. They will find you! We ate dinner the first night we where there, and had a few come up to us. We looked at their notebooks filled with many many recomendations. We decided on one and had a great first day, lots of biking though. We decided to go with her for another day. Was fine except for the "local" boat ride from Fuli downstream. We were thinking $10-20, ended up costing $40+. Was nice, but kind of got roped into it. Just make sure you solidify your plans/route before hand. If you get a chance to go the Fuli market go, it's quite interesting. Other than that we had no problems, she took us all around and saw the real countryside.
The main thing with the guides is that if you ask for a price for the day, they won't give you one. They expect you to pay/tip depending on how you liked it. No set price. We may have overtipped the first day by 50 yuan or so, and got nailed on the boat ride I think because of that. Oh well.
Don't let me discourage you, just double check with your guide on prices if you take a boat! We really liked Yangshuo and the surrounding area. Quite surreal. Email if any questions!

Oct 21st, 2002, 11:29 AM
Wayne

I've read that Guilin (the city itself and environs) deserves only one day and that it can be unsafe at night. Of course, we'll be doing the boat ride down to Yangshuo. I've also read that Yangshuo is "charming" and worth a couple of days for exploring/biking. Any recent reports?

Oct 21st, 2002, 06:41 PM
Neil

Wayne, I wouldn't say that central Guilin isn't safe. The outer parts of the city, from what our guide said, aren't really safe for tourists though. We felt very safe and comfortable in Guilin at night. In fact, the night that we where there was the Mid-Autumn festival in september. Seemed like we where the only western tourists out that night.

Yangshuo is much different that Guilin, geared for western tourists. Definately worth a few days of looking around the countryside. Again, you can hire a local guide for the day when you get there. In Yangshuo, my wife and I feel that the Comorant fishing at night is a must. Very touristy thing to do, but fascinating none the less. Cost 50 yuan($8USD) for the both of us for a one hour trip at night.

Email me if you want a trip report!

Oct 21st, 2002, 08:03 PM
Michael

Hi,I'm from Guangzhou,China,and read your questions. My recommendation is:make your trip to Guangzhou and stay here for 2-3 nights(for that regular trip here would cost around US$380 for each person),and then transfer to guilin,I may help you book guide there.tell me where you are interested or not.