Search

Help with Asia in November / December

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2011, 10:12 AM
TQ1
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Asia in November / December

I am considering a trip to Asia for three weeks in the latter part of this year. This would be my second trip to Asia. On our first visit to the continent, we touched upon Hong Kong, Macau, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, and Phuket. I especially enjoyed the temples everywhere as well as some of the caves and smaller islands around Phuket. Some history, culture, and hiking would all be part of a nice vacation. What are some places around Asia that I should include in a second trip? Are there places you particularly enjoyed and why?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 11:03 AM

You might want to consider Angkor Wat in Cambodia - truly one of the wonders of the world. There are many dozens of accessible temples, and you should plan at least three full days in Siem Reap if you choose to go.

Luang Prabang, Laos is a lovely litle town, it was formerly the cultural center of Laos and is filled with working wats (wats with monks in residence). You can also opt for hiking/trekking farther north in Laos.

Bangkok is a good entry point to these two countries, and you can use Bangkok Air's Discovery Pass to reduce flights costs among these three countries.

You can also go farther north in Thailand for hiking and other activities. I like the Golden Triangle area. The Anantara is lovely if it fits your budget.

Photos of all of these places (and many more) at www.marlandc.com
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 12:15 PM

Kathie, I don't know if you were planning on going to Thailand this year but the Anantara Golden Triangle is going for 200$ per night on Jetsetter this week only. It's a great deal!
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 02:18 PM

That is a great deal! We are all booked for Bangkok and Burma. No "wiggle room" or we'd sure consider returning to the Anantara!
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 02:27 PM
TQ1
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie. Your suggestions are interesting, esp. Angkor. I will look take a look at all the places you mentioned.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 02:49 AM

My thoughts and suggestions are as follows:

1. I think Bali would fit your interests well. Religion is the centre of life there, and you will find hundreds of temples. You can also do outdoor activities easily, from hiking to biking to white water rafting, snorkeling and scuba. They also have a very rich cultural life in the arts (esp painting, sculpture and music). You could do a combo of inland rice terrace areas and beach areas. As you have a nice chunk of time, a good add-on to this would be to go to nearby Java where there are two world-class temples, Borobudur and Prambanan , plus the city of Yogyakarta. December is the beginning of the rainy season, but IMO, Bali is one of the few places where this makes no difference, at least to me, in the ability to enjoy a trip. The island is magical and the rain can even add to that. Cut off a banana leaf for an umbrella and enjoy!

2. As you have 3 weeks and are going in November and December, I think India would be a great choice, esp concentrating on the south which has thousands of temples, some quite significant in both size and importance. (While religion plays a central part in all of India life, the south is more conservative, less developed and more devout. It was also spared the destruction of temples by the Mughals which happened in north India.) Maudurai temple will just astound you. A place like Varanasi would probably be very interesting to you. Or go to Ladakh for Buddhist temples. There are many good walking opportunities, you could even do a walking holiday. You might look at outfits like http://www.atg-oxford.co.uk which do walking tours and are well-regarded. I have walked with them in Europe. Mountain Travel Sobeck might be another good choice, see http://mtsobek.com/. I have used Soebek for things like day rafting trips in Bali. They can also give you an idea of places on an itinerary which you may want to consider including. Also try Backroads, see http://www.backroads.com/, I have not used them yet but they seem to be well-regarded on the US board, and they have some trips in Asia. The weather is really ideal at that time in most all of India; although one thing to bear in mind is that the south east coast (around Chennai) will be rainy in those months, so the south west may be a bit better choice, unless you are OK with rain. (December is better than November if you have a choice, and overall is probably the best month in India in terms of temps.)

3. Bhutan would also be a great choice, perfect for walking (between or to temple, for instance) and those months should be good, may be getting a bit cool in terms of temps. See weather websites and see how you feel. There are some religious holidays in November and December (though October may be better, and also for temps), check websites.

4. A final place to consider would be Sri Lanka, which again has numerous temples and shrines, as well as game viewing parks, beaches and opportunities for hikes and walks. You could combine 2 weeks in Sri Lanka with a week in India seeing one or two highlights in India (and easy flights to Sri Lanka from there). It will be the rainy season on most of the island, so again, look at websites and see if you are comfortable with that.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 03:43 AM

www.theangkorguide.net if u are into temples this is heaven...

Largest complex in asia... takes DAYS to see it all

off the beaten path best take lots of time....

great funny well priced local guide always best for me.

www.goldenbanana.info my fav there many other nice places

Otel.com discounts... Vietnam also if you have time

Have fun!
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 03:43 AM

www.theangkorguide.net if u are into temples this is heaven...

Largest complex in asia... takes DAYS to see it all

off the beaten path best take lots of time....

great funny well priced local guide always best for me.

www.goldenbanana.info my fav there many other nice places

Otel.com discounts... Vietnam also if you have time

Have fun!
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 06:55 AM

Cicerone offers lots of ideas, but consider that

Nov/Dec weather will be great in Thailand/Cambodia/Laos.

Bali is rainy in Nov/Dec, though I've been at that time of the year and didn't let the rain bother me.

Much of India would be good weather, but not Ladakh which will be very, very cold.

Sri Lanka would be lovely.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 08:32 AM
TQ1
Original Poster

Thanks for the wealth of information, everyone. I truly appreciate all that you have given me to work with.