Pre or Post Olympics Bejiing

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to China, and wondered if it would be better (or less expensive) to go before or after the 2008 Olympics? Thanks - Anne
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 10:29 AM

I visited Barcelona shortly following the Olympics there. There are so many beautification projects that go on for those events, I hope to visit many Olympic cities AFTER the events.

Also, I'm into architecture, and love to see the structures they erect for the games!
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 01:02 PM

I'd go as soon as possible. It appears that the national and city governments' idea of "beautifying" Beijing is to knock down many of the ancient hutong (courtyard house) areas that give the city so much of its character, and move their residents into apartment blocks in the burbs. What goes in their place may or may not be constructed to look historic. It's not always easy to know what's real and what's fake, and I have the impression that most Chinese domestic tourists (who provide the great bulk of tourism activity - foreigners are a drop in the ocean) are as much in the dark as anyone else. I'm sure many Chinese are distressed at what's happening, but democratic institutions like conservation and environmental movements are still in their infancy, and the Almighty Yuan is hard to battle.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 01:47 PM

While the foreign tourist may not appreciate the tearing down of hutongs and redeveloping those areas to big commercial buildings, the actual residents there may be rejoicing that they can leave the poor living quarters for a nice apartment in a high rise block.

I don't think it's going to make a huge difference say if you go 2007 or 2009. And yes, usually it's better to go after, when everything's fixed, all the hotels built, and prices coming down.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 03:00 PM

rkkwan, I agree there's two sides to the argument, and sewerage is one issue that comes to mind. As to how the locals feel about being plucked out of their lifelong (in many cases) quasi-village environment, I don't know, but I'd be surprised if most didn't have mixed feelings.

A parallel occurred to me. In Australia after WW2, thousands of working-class people who were living in crowded inner-city terrace (row) houses, with poor plumbing, gas leaks and sometimes bedbugs, were relocated to new suburbs on what were then the city's fringes. The difference perhaps was that in many cases they moved voluntarily, they moved into modern detached houses on quarter-acre blocks rather than 20th-floor apartments, and in most cases the terrace houses weren't demolished - today they mostly house cashed-up professionals.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 09:37 AM

When in 2008 will the Olympics take place? I hope to visit in the fall of '08 but don't want to run into the crowds.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 02:05 PM

The Olympics will begin 08/08/08, eight being the luckiest number in China. They last about 12 days.
K
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 05:56 PM

I posted on this twice a few weeks ago. My general feeling from living in HOng Kong and doing work in China is that I would NOT go in the summer of 2007 as too much major work will still be going on and a lot of stuff will be under scaffolding (as part of the Forbidden City is now), but would think it would be fine to go in the summer of 2008 before the Olympics when major things like roads and stadia are in place albeit you might still find tourists sites rushing to complete their beautification. Going after the Olympics is also a good idea. I would also encourage you to attend the Olympics themselves, a great event if you have never been and IMO the Beijing ones are going to be qutie something. The equistrian events are in HOng Kong if that interests you, and sailing and some of the other events will be at other venues besides Beijing, take a look at http://en.beijing2008.com/
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 10:01 AM

I just read recently that the Forbidden City's renovation will be continuing until 2020 for the 600th anniversary of its construction. Try Googling "forbidden city construction qianlong" to see the article in the IHT.

However, I agree that if you have a choice it's likely to be less hassle and less expensive afterwards than just before the Games. Then again, airline fuel may be so high by then it may wipe out any potential savings!

K
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 04:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old post but if people are still wondering whether to go right before the Olympics I say yes. There are a lot of cultural events planned as part of the Olympic festival. DD is going to perform with her choral group at the end of May 08.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 01:33 PM

Glad I found this posting. I'm planning a trip to China and started thinking of May or October 2009, but also am thinking of May 2008. Based on some comments, I'm leaning towards 2009. Are either of these two months better than the other as far as crowds, weather, prices go? Or do you suggest any other month? I can't travel (because of my job) in the months of July - Sept.

Thanks!

Monica
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 05:46 PM

Speaking to what Neil_Oz posted, here's a BBC News article about the disappearing hutong and how some of the locals feel:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6709099.stm
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 06:08 PM

Thanks so much for the link! It makes me want to rethink my trip and go next May instead of 2009. How sad that history and culture is disappearing and the government doesn't care.

Monica
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 03:50 AM

ggreen, I wonder if all the hutongs would be demolished before the Olympics or if this is something that would take a few years to do.

Monica
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 05:55 AM

hi Monica, I have no idea how fast things are being demolished, though the article made it sound like it's happening pretty quickly. I've never been to mainland China before - I'll be in Beijing for one month this summer and so am doing research for my trip (usually I'm on the US or Europe boards). Of course, I'll try and post a trip report on my return, and hopefully will have a more firsthand idea of how fast redevelopment is occurring!
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 06:00 AM

ggreen,

I would appreciate hearing from you when you return from your summer trip. I too am usually on the Europe board but have been wanting to go to China for a long time. I almost did back in 2003 but that's when SARs broke out and I ended up cancelling.

Thanks!

Monica
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 01:35 PM

Monica, there's a useful forum called the Oriental List, mainly patronised by experienced China travellers - you might find that helpful. At least there used to be - I got kicked off it. You could try Googling...
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 02:04 PM

Don't underestimate the speed of demolition in China, an entire city block of hutongs can be razed to the ground with the debris hauled away in a week.

It can happen in the US too with enough incentive, i.e. the MacArthur Maze freeways collapse and restoration in Oakland.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 02:13 PM

Thanks Neil, I'll do a google. How did you get kicked off?

Looks like I'm leaning towards May 08 rather than 09.

Monica
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 02:21 PM

the oriental list is PeterN H's website also a member of Fodors.

Very opinionated website(mainly Peter's) but full of useful info about China

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -