Reload this Page >

political unrest in Indonesia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 08:57 AM
lsi

I am planning a trip to Bali, Java and perhaps other parts of Indonesia for April. The (U.S.) State Dept has a travel warning posted for Indonesia. I understand from friends in Asia that the situation is unlikely to affect Bali, and is limited to specific areas in Indonesia. Anyone been there recently that could offer some insights on the situation? <BR>Thanks.

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 09:31 AM
KJ

We were in Bali in Nov., 2000. Everyone was warm and friendly. No hostility was ever evident. I would not go to Java at this time. Bali, as you probably know, is Hindu, while the rest of Indonesia is Muslim and resentful of Americans. We had a wonderful time in Bali, but be careful where you stay. Some areas are over-developed and congested, others are magnificent.

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 04:55 PM
Jayelle

Just wanted to respond to the comment made by KJ regarding Muslims in Indonesia being resentful of Americans. I think this statement is misleading. Indonesia's current problems tend toward long-simmering internal conflicts between religious and ethnic groups in the country. Like other places in the world (e.g., the Balkans), these problems were suppressed under a dictatorial regime. Now they are boiling over. <BR> <BR>However, it is unfair to say that Muslim resentment in Indonesia is directed particularly against Americans. If you have spent time there, I'm sure that you know that the practice of Islam in Indonesia is not nearly as strict as it is in many Middle Eastern countries. As an American who was in the country as the economy started to fail and the unrest began, I did not experience any hostility directed toward me as an American. The anger was directed much more internally.

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 07:23 PM
lisa

I was last in Bali also in Nov.2000. I travel at least 2-3 times a year to Bali. As the other response states Bali is safe but I'm not too sure I would go anywhere else.

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 11:36 PM
Florence

Bali is safe at the moment since the muslim extremists have decided to leave it alone (they expect to take advantage of the $ the tourism business generates, exactly like the Maldives) and there are almost none there. However, in the other islands, everything that smacks of Western or Chinese influences (churches, pagodas, businesses, tourists) is under attack. American tourists are easy to spot and that's why they might be especially targeted.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 03:19 AM
pat

L, <BR>Another support from Bangkok to assure you that Bali is very safe, as Florence has said it is the prime spot for tourism industry. <BR>Welcome to asia.

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 11:13 PM
momrath

i am an american living in jakarta. this is a difficult question to answer. sadly indonesia has gone from being one of the safest places in the world to one that is plagued with occasional and unpredictable violence. the american embassy warning i think is strongly politcally motivated and overprotective. having said that i must stress that anyone coming to indonesia -- even bali -- should do so with their eyes open. (i'd give the same advice to someone traveling to new york city.) <BR> <BR>indonesia has an intense and complex social structure. emotions do boil over and conflict explodes. sometimes it is political, sometimes it is religious, sometimes it is simply ridiculous. in the six years that i and my family have lived and traveled in indonesia we have never, ever been treated other than with extreme courtesy and kindness by all indonesians. this is a wonderful country. do come, visit bali, java, sulawesi if you have time. be flexible, be aware, stay in touch with your embassy.