Search

Please help me decide on a Udaipur hotel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2007, 07:11 PM
CFW
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help me decide on a Udaipur hotel

Looking for a hotel with charm (Heritage style), comfortable beds, nice bathroom, and lake view. Thinking about Jagat Niwas Palace, Udai Kothi, or Mewar Haveli. All get good reviews on Tripadvisor. Are there any fodorites who have had experience with any of these hotels, or others that meet my criteria?
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 09:05 PM

We stayed at the Lake Palace (there was water in the lake when we were there) and thought it was just about the most romantic hotel in the world.
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 10:06 PM

If I was going to pay the prices of Lake Palace, I'd choose Udavilas. I've heard someone who liked Niwas Palace, but know nothing about it other than that.

sorry!

CFW- I'm sorry I'm so slow in getting out my TR. email me at fodoraddict (at) aol (dot) com, if you need any specific tips. We went to Simla, Agra, and Delhi. Loved Agra this time, and had a really good time in Delhi as well.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 03:16 AM
CFW
Original Poster

Thanks, Lucy. I will e-mail you. Meantime, have you been to Jodhpur and Jaipur? I only have time for one of them, and I'm trying to decide which to visit.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 04:27 AM

I thought Lake Palace was a complete waste of money (and there was water in the lake). Lousy staff.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 10:36 AM

I've only been to Jaipur and Udaipur. Found Jaipur to be a very nice city, especially in the old section around the Samode Haveli where we stayed. Loved Amber fort, the City palce complex, the observatory, etc.

I have a feeling either Jaipur or Jodpur will be equally interesting. Maybe choose the one with teh best connections. Of course if the Kingfisher flights don't end up happening, Jaipur will be LOTS easier to reach by car or train....
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 03:09 PM
CFW
Original Poster

Lucy, you're right. I think that's the deciding point. Jaipur it is!

Where did you stay in Udaipur?
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 06:26 PM

Udavilas. It was a splurge but well worth it. Even the ride from the airport to the hotel -fancy limo, then boat across the lake- was wonderful. We were lucky to be there right before a fancy wedding, and got to see all sorts of Indian celebrity types arrive decked out in their best Indian party clothes.

Although you arrive by lake, the hotel is actually on a little peninsula, so you can walk out the back side into town.

Rooms, service and the grounds are fabulous.

There is a reallly nice small heritage hotel in Udaipur too. I need to get my notes to see if I have the name.
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 06:24 PM
CFW
Original Poster

I'm still debating about hotels in Udaipur. Oberoi Uadavilas looks stunning, but I don't think the price will be worth it for me since I will be out & about sightseeing, shopping, etc during the day. This is really a rushed trip for me and I will have little time to hang out and relax. But I do want to stay in a nice place with charm. I think I haveruled out Jagat Niwas, which looks like it is past its prime and is a little run down with dark rooms. Mewar Havel looks like it is nicely and cheerfully decorated, with lovely lake views, though the rooms are small. What about the Karohi Haveli? It is a new hotel built in a heritage style. The building looks nice, with lake views, but the rooms look a little sparse, though they seem to have very new & nice bathrooms. Now I have started thinking about the Trident Hilton. The rooms, grounds & pool look lovely, it has received some great reviews on Tipadvisor, and no doubt the beds and hotel will be much more comfortable than any of the others I'm considering. Plus I have lots of Hilton points so it would be free. The only downside seems to be that, although it is apparently right next to the Oberoi, it seems it is not on the lake and the rooms either face the pool or the gardens. Would love to hear from fodorite who have stayed in any of these hotels.
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 12:57 PM

We have an excellent stay at Amet Haveli last month. Its quite spiffed up (our room looked newly built or renovated) and has added a reception area and new rooms (it looks like more are being reno'd our room (like their restaurant) looked right across at water level to the City Palace and Lake Palace - perfect.

We had also looked at Kankerwa Haveli and Devra from the Sawdays guide when booking this trip.
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 08:33 AM

Udaivilas is magnificent. The place is an attraction in itself and you will be glad you stayed there.
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 05:37 PM
CFW
Original Poster

I'm really not willing to spend $760++ per night to stay at Udaivilas no matter how wonderful it is. I've narrowed down my choices to two small Heritage-style hotels that look inviting and have lake views -- MEWAR HAVELI or KAROHI HAVELI -- or the HILTON, which looks like it has more comfortable rooms and lovely gardens and pool, but no lake view. Please help me decide. Have any fodorites stayed at any of these hotels? Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving to those of you in the US.
Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 07:18 PM

Carole,

I stayed four nights at the Udaivilas (we were doing a Christmas "spa" break) and have to agree that it is an incredible treat. However, $750++ a night does make one gasp. I think it was around $350/night over Christmas two years ago.

So, your decision. I visited the Mewar Havali when in Udaipur and I think you would be very happy staying there. It was lovely. The views are stunning and the REASON you go to Udaipur is for the views, the lake and the ambiance. It is small and intimate and I think you will feel like you have stepped back in history.

However, Hilton points and a free room are nice You can use the money you save to spurge for dinner on the outdoor terrace of the Udaivilas. You really must make a field trip to the Udaivilas and I think they only way you can do that is to book a dinner reservation (or you can call and say you are wanting to see it so that you can come back with your husband). It is a bit like fort knox to get in if you are not a guest, but a visit to the Udaivilas would be fun for you. It sort of defies description.