COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Please cast an eye over this plan if you have a mo

Old Jan 17th, 2020, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Good evening,
can I please get your expert opinions?
we have flights booked to Bangkok in august- stupidly didnít check first re weather and subsequently realised that this is not generally a good time to visit Thailand.
there will be 6 of us my husband and our children early twenties with their partners.we have 13 nights in total.
i am thinking that we could stay 3 nights in Bangkok then fly to danang and stay in hoi an for 4 nights then fly to nha Trang for 4 nights then back to Bangkok.
we had really wanted to see some ethical elephants but I guess this is not really achievable unless you know otherwise?

We really donít want loads of flights and ideally would like villas although these are looking quite elusive/ expensive.
any hotel suggestions very welcome.
any comments / suggestions very welcome , we have been to malaysia two years ago and loved it but feeling rather overwhelmed so far only the Bangkok flights are booked so open to any ( polite) suggestions please?
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 07:38 AM

It is true that August is pretty rainy in Chiang Mai and Phuket, and less rainy in Nha Trang and Hoi An. Note that when it is that rainy (about 10 inches of rain in the month) you will also experience red-flagged beaches and activities like kayaking and boat trips may be canceled.

Other beach area of Thailand such as Hua Hin and Ko Samui will have better weather,

The best ethical elephant opportunities are in the Chiang Mai area, and they will be wet and muddy in August.

Do note that a visa is required for VN.

Good luck in planning your trip!
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 09:12 AM

Flying to Vietnam is a good idea, but those are not the places I would choose. I would head for Hanoi, but I am not a beach person.

There are, of course, many other places in east Asia easily reached from Bangkok. In August I would head north.
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 01:48 AM
Original Poster

Thankyou for the replies Iíll check re visas .
we did look at koh Samoa but the airfares are very pricey unless you go very early in the morning.
when you say head north where do you mean?
we looked at Bali briefly but fir some reason decided against it

Old Jan 19th, 2020, 05:57 AM

In August, if decent beach weather is a priority, I would head for Malaysian Borneo or Bali. If you don’t want lots of flights, I see little point in splitting your time between Hoi An and Nha Trang. The latter is now a bit of a party town favoured by Russians, if that doesn’t sound enticing, I would avoid. Hoi An is very quaint and will have good weather and there is a lot to see and do in places like Hue. The beaches are OK I suppose but most woud go for the old town, the countryside outside and places like My Son, the marble mountains etc.

koh Samui should have reasonable weather in August and you will likely have the best chance of finding villa accommodation there.

Bali has a lot of villas and great weather and a week there, perhaps splitting your tim between a beach resort and Ubud would probably be my choice, with Borneo a close second. Bali is more about culture, beaches and relaxation Borneo, natural wonders.

Three days in Bangkok after allowing for transits, jet lag etc. is not a great amount of time so I think I would probably just bite the bullet and top and tail your trip with a night at either end just to make sure of getting your intercontinental flights. To avoid losing anymore time than is absolutely necessary, a big factor for me would be the convenience and timing of flights from Bangkok.

i would forget about trying to include elephants on this trip. How about Orangutans in Borneo?
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 02:04 PM

If good beach weather is a priority, then Bali is a reasonable alternative. Non-stop flights from Bangkok to Bali/Denpasar take about 4 hours and cost between USD250-300 roundtrip. Once you're in Bali, getting around from the beach area to the inland culture/nature/arts & crafts areas (Ubud, etc.) is fairly effortless. There are zillions of villas and Airbnbs. Lots to do for people of all ages. Visas are not required for most nationalities.

There are no large animals in Bali (except at zoos). A side trip to see Komodo Island to see the dragons is another possibility, but, like Borneo, that would involve additional complicated travel. Central Java -- Borobudur and Yogyakarta -- is a good combination with Bali if you're interested in ancient cultures.
Old Jan 21st, 2020, 08:33 PM

August is hot and humid in Vietnam, less than in Thailand) , but not rainy. I o not like your plan : Nha Trang is a large European-style sea resort with no charm whatsoever. + invaded with uneducated Russian and Chinese tourists. I would fly to beautiful HUE, 2 full days there, then CAR with driver for a superb day Hue-Lang Co Lagoon-Pass of the Clouds-Danang Cham Museum-Marble Mountain-Hoi An.