Planning our time in Southeast Asia

Old Jan 7th, 2020, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Planning our time in Southeast Asia

Please help me to plan some details of our first trip to Southeast Asia!

We are a couple in our 60s taking a cruise to SouthEast Asia at the beginning of March. Since our cruise stays overnight in several ports we will take advantage of it and are planning our own overland tours and activities. Our itinerary is Singapore, Ko Samui, Bangkok, Siam Reap (2 days), Saigon, Halong Bay, Hanoi, Hong Kong. I do have tons of questions, apologize for the long list.

1. Singapore, we are staying there for two and a half days pre-cruise. We are planning the usual tourist route for Day 1. Then we will be taking a tour of ethnic neighborhoods. Should we go to Sentosa Island? We are not planning to do Night Safari. What are the recommendations for the hawker stalls? We are also looking to have one dinner at a luxury restaurant with authentic food.

2. Bangkok, 2 days. We are planning to tour Bangkok privately for both days, going to the Palace and a number of Wats. Planning a food tour in the evening. Any recommendations for the street food? I read there is a stall with Michelin start. Does it have a name/number/address? We are booked to stay at hotel Atheene (used points). Is it convenient?

3. We are flying to Angkor Wat for 2 days and taking a private tour there.

4. Saigon, 2 days. We are planning to go to Mekong Delta one day and the tour Saigon for half a day the next day. Is it a good plan? Where to stay? Looking for luxury hotel with the old world charm (but not outdated). Also, looking for street food recommendations.

5. Hanoi where to stay and where to eat?

6. Hong Kong same questions as above. Should we stay on HK or Kowloon side? Places to eat, though we will have only one night there.

7. Ko Samui - what is the best beach there? Should we do any sightseeing or just relax on the beach considering the above itinerary

I know its a lot of questions. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 8th, 2020, 06:00 PM

HCMC - District 1 area
Hanoi - Old Quarter area
For the accommodation, you should do some research on Booking to find one that suits you.