Planning on Track for Burma,Thailand, Laos in Dec., Itinerary 1 Burma

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After many, many months of planning, I am fitting together the final pieces of this trip puzzle. I would appreciate answers to some questions and other feedback on my choices, any and all recommendations.
I’ll break up this three country trip for ease of responding to each part.
Part I Burma
I’m using Santa Maria Travel (thanks Kathie) and my communications with them have been excellent so far. They are booking internal flights, car and driver for Mandalay and days and lodging in Maymyo. I booked other hotels and ground arrangements on my own.

We arrive in Yangon 12/16 (flying LAX-BKK-RGN on Thai BC with miles)
This will be our second trip to Burma. Last trip we enjoyed the following: a car tour of historic building, walking around Royal Lake, morning in Chinatown/market, Indian area of town, Chaukhtatgyi Paya, National Museum, local synagogue, trishaw to Botathaung Paya, a harbor walk, Sule Pagoda, Scott Market and of course, Shwe Dagon.

Day 1 (Dec.16) Kyaw will pick us up at the airport and drive us for the day (thanks to one of you for this rec, Kathie?) in Rangoon after checking in at Governor’s Residence (garden room).

This time we hope to enjoy a shopping blitz at Hleden Market, Augustine’s Antiques, home shop of Daw Mya Mya Sein and shops in Strand Arcade. Are there any reputable gem dealers for serious purchase of loose stones??
Then lunch at a clean tea shop (any near above attractions?), back to Governor’s Res for pool time and rest.
Around 4 drive to interesting neighborhoods to walk around - which?
visit Shwe Dagon around 6-8; maybe dinner at hotel; probably too tired to do
Rangoon at night (have just traveled 18+ hours and early am flight next day)

Day 2: take 6:30 am flight to Bagan. Min Thu (thanks again Kathie) collects us at airport and we go to Tharabar Gate Hotel (Suite) to check in/store luggage. We’ll spend the next 3 days visiting temples and pagoda’s that Min Thu recommends via horse cart (with understanding with him that we can switch to car if cart too uncomfortable). On our first trip my girlfriend and I were so concerned about the likelihood of our men whining about too many temples, I ended up missing some temples I wanted to see and regretting it. So I want to immerse myself in temples and villages and selected markets. During our stay it will be full moon night so I’m hoping a village or two will have a ceremony. Also have in tow Craig’s organization of Bagan’s sights. Laquerware and antique puppet shopping too.
Day 3 and 4 more of the above plus Balloons over Bagan on Day 3 (or 4).

Day 5 8:00 am fly to Mandalay. Santa Maria guide takes us to things we missed on first trip: Mandalay Hill, Aye Yeik Mon Orphanage (appointment arranged), Shwe In Bin Kyaung and neighborhood. Hope there’s time for antique shop I like at Mahamuni Pagoda arcade.
In afternoon drive to Maymyo (with stops en route), the old British Hill station, staying at Kandawgyi Hill Resort for 2 nights.
Day 6 - visit Shan market, Chinese Temple, Botanical Gardens, waterfalls, horse and villages, villages, villages.
Day 7 drive back to Mandalay for 4:40 flight to Yangon.
I have booked a double room at The Savoy for this overnight (must leave hotel by 6:30 next am) so I’d be close to Shwe Dagon for another visit. Food at hotel restaurant, Kipling’s, too spicy for me. Recall Monsoon near there. Any dinner recommendations around Shwe Dagon? If we can’t get vendors to deliver any purchases to Savoy, we’ll have to collect them this evening.

I’m ready for all critiques.
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 02:14 PM

It sounds just wonderful, Robbie. The driver for Rangoon wasn't my recommendation (maybe Bob?), but I'll tkae credit for Min Thu.

I would loved to have walked in the neighborhood of the Governor's Residence. It was lovely, green and shady. The Strand has maps for a walking tour of the historic area. Do have at least one meal (a very nice lunch or dinner) at the Governor's Residence. You might also consider a dinner at the Strand.
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 02:47 PM

Just looking forward to your trip report - not much that I can add, except that we too, would like to return to Myanmar some day.
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 06:21 PM

I'm just starting to plan our trip for either Jan-Feb 2011 or the following year if we can't use our frequent flyer miles at this late date. Your post is soooo helpful.
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 04:21 PM

looks fab, and yes i suggested kway---say hello to him from us please... i email him still..

if fred objects to temple visits just tie him to an alter as a sacrifice....