Phuket in September

Aug 5th, 1999, 08:35 PM
Raymond

Phuket in September

My family (my wife and our 12 YO son) will be going to Phuket in early September. We decided to stay in Patong even though we know it is more commercial and noisier than Karon. We will be staying in Holiday Inn.

Can anyone tell us what the weather is like in September ? Will it rain everyday ? I suppose swimming in the sea and the beach is out of question because of the monsoon season.

What are the attractions to see and do while we are in Phuket ? Are there any regular bus service that takes in Phuket town, Patong and other beach areas ? Is it better to take taxis rather than tuk tuk ?

Any eating places to be recommended, especially around Patong as we don't want to have the same buffet breakfasts every morning in the hotel.

What is the shopping like, especially the night markets in Patong ? Is the quality inferior and what are the prices like ?

We also want to take day trips to Phang Nga Bay, Krabi and Phi Phi Island. Is it better to book these trips before we leave Australia or after we arrive in Phuket ?

Any advice or recommendations will be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Aug 6th, 1999, 08:32 AM
Michael

Hello Raymond,

September is typically the month with the heaviest rainfall.

There are several temples to see on Phuket, an aquarium at Cape Panwa just southeast of Phuket town, Khao Phra Thaeo National Park with neat waterfalls, and of course all of the great beaches. Nai Harn beach in the south is one of our favorites.

There are buses to Phuket Town. I'd suggest renting a jeep (600 baht/day) or motorbikes (200/day) and seeing the Island that way. It's really a small Island and very difficult to get lost.

The Sabai-Sabai Restaurant is a small local place just off the beach in an "alley" toward the south part of Patong. It's really good. The Patong Bay Garden Resort restaurant is also very good. It is on the beach in the center of town. For a gorgeous view and good food (albeit somewhat expensive by Thai standards) try the Suang Sawan Restaurant on the cliff just north of Patong. (you'll pass it when you go from the airport to Patong)

Quality of goods is fair at best and the prices are not too high. They are much higher than in Chiang Mai and even Bangkok for the same quality stuff.

Book your day trips in Phuket. Their are lots of "travel offices" and you should NEGOTIATE. As an example my wife and I negotiated a 900 baht trip to Racha (Raya) island for snorkeling down to 700 baht. We met another couple on the boat going to Raya that bought their tickets for 600!

If you get a chance or can vary your plans somewhat try Chiang Mai. There is a direct Thai flight there daily. The Mae Ping hotel is very near the famous night market that has some of the best shopping for garmets and silver items in Thailand. Also, the visits to the elephant camps are interesting and fun.

Aug 7th, 1999, 07:45 PM
Teresa

Hi Raymond,

My family (my husband, and 2 children 8 & 12) are also going to Thailand (Bangkok & Phuket) on September 15th, and staying at the Holiday Inn. What date will you be back? I have also been trying to get information on restaurants (especially close by for breakfasts, quick meals etc.) tours, shopping - well everything! Perhaps, if you're back before we go, you can fill us in!

Thanks, Teresa.

Aug 8th, 1999, 07:41 PM
Raymond

Hi Teresa,

We will be arriving back in Melbourne on Monday 13 September. I hope to have enough time to send you something before you leave on 15 September.

I actually sent you a separate email last week. I thought you may have collected quite a lot of info which you may like to share with us.

Our main concern is really about the weather, whether it is too risky and uncomfortable to take the trips to Phang Nga Bay and Krabi, and for canoeing and exploring the caves.

Raymond

Aug 15th, 1999, 06:16 PM
Ricky

Tuk tuk is not danger as we thought, except that the driver may slightly overspeed at night. Anyway, I suggest you to try one trip at least.
Shopping in Phuket is fine with much cheaper price. But I always remind people to pay attention to the fake products. They may find some fake products in the big department stores. Although it is cheaper than the real one, make sure it is worth with the quality.

Nov 16th, 1999, 02:13 PM
KB

Raymond,
How did your trip go? My fiancee and I are thinking of a similar trip for our honeymoon, during the first half of next September. Can you tell us how the weather was as well as what you'd recommend to do/see? Thanks!