Reload this Page >

Phuket Advice?

Search

Phuket Advice?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 05:22 PM
Charlie

Phuket Advice?

After reading this board, it seems folks aren't the biggest fans of Phuket. Here's the scoop, tho... I won a trip to any Marriott resort I choose... have always wanted to go to Thailand, so there ya have it (though I'm open to group suggestions for other cool Asian destinations... I'd love a destination that offers both beachgoing and day trips to interesting historic sites). <BR> <BR>In Thailand, the choices are limited to the two Marriotts in Bangkok (Bangkok Marriott Resort & Spa on the Chao Phraya River and the JW Marriott right downtown), the Hua Hin Marriott Resort & Spa, and the JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa (which opens this December on Mai Khao beach). <BR> <BR>Of the 4 choices, Phuket sounded the best, as the resort is rumored to be gorgeous, and I've heard Phuket is beautiful. The Hua Hin resort only ranked 1 star with Michellin, so I'm a bit skeptical about it. <BR> <BR>So... cost of the resort itself is irrelevant, but I'm curious what the experienced traveller's think of the Thai destinations I have to choose from, at large, and the hotels in particular... <BR> <BR>Appreciate any advice. Thanks! <BR> <BR>Charlie

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 05:58 PM
phil

I went to Phuket last year for part of my honeymoon and loved it. Yes, there are parts of Patong that are a little seedy (they are not unsafe) in a touristy way. More "Honky-Tonk" than out and out prostitution like other parts of Thailand, such as Pattaya. (If Tiajuana is a 10 on the seedy scale, Patong is a 2,) However, that is a very, very small part of the Island <BR> <BR>Overall, the island is beautiful and is a great jumping off point for the Phi Phi Islands, Phang Na Bay and great diving. (Rent the movie the beach to get a sense of the Phi Phi Islands.) <BR> <BR>Like most of Asia, the weather is dictated by when the moonson season hits. Check the website www.worldclimate.com. You can see which months are wet and which are not. <BR> <BR>Of course there are people that won't like almost any location. Personally, I hate Cancun but would go to Phuket anytime. 20 years ago Phuket was undeveloped and had few large hotels. I'm sure that people who went back with that image are disappointed. New visitors, like me, I would think enjoy it for what it is. <BR> <BR>P.S. If you want a laugh, go to www.phuket.com and click on the link to the Valhalla Hotel. That's about as bad as Patong gets.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 01:09 AM
debbie

I have never been to Thailand but am planning a trip in December and have been doing extensive research which I would like to share with you. Basically the advice is Hua Hin is nicer than Phuket.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 01:21 PM
Kathy

Charlie, we're taking our two teenagers to Hong Kong & Thailand for Xmas & New Year's. We're using our Marriot points for our Hong Kong stay, but I wouldn't hesitate to stay in the Marriott on the river in Bangkok (I hope to do so in the future). Although we're going to the way more remote Phra Thong island in the Adaman Sea, the BRAND NEW Marriott in Phuket sounds great. There's plenty to see around that area in side trips, such as a night or two in Khao Sok National Park. Have a great trip. What time of year are you going? --Kathy

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 01:47 PM
Charlie

Kathy, <BR> <BR>Actually, we're using Marriot Miles, too (just seemed too complicated to explain, though in retrospect, most travellers on this board wouldn't find that a hard concept to get at all...). <BR> <BR>My goal is to go in November. Need to take a look, though, and make sure my mileage doesn't expire too early. <BR> <BR>Thanks for the advice! <BR> <BR>Charlie