Photos - Hong Kong to Shanghai

Oct 26th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Photos - Hong Kong to Shanghai

Hi there,

http://travel.webshots.com/album/568049018pHSsDo

Please have a look at my album featuring Hong Kong, Shanghai and Zhouzhuang.

After Indonesia, I went to Hong Kong before going to Shanghai to join my Highlights of China tour with Gap Adventures.

Hong Kong Highlights:
I was in Hong Kong for some personal business and had very limited time to visit my former home (one full day and two nights). However, I chose some interesting historic and heritage sites that showcase Hong Kong's unique culture.
- historic Tin Hau Temple in Yau Ma Tei
- the Hakka walled village museum of Sam Tung Uk in Tsuen Wan.
- Elegant and tranquil Chi Lin Nunnery and Nan Lian Garden.
- Golden Mile Nathan Road
- Star ferry across the stunning Victoria Harbour.
- Ultra Modern Highrises of Central with elegant remaining British Colonial architecture.
- Sheung Wan with the atmospheric Man Mo Temple.
- The classic tourist attraction - the Peak
- the vibrant night market in Mongkok with lots of delicious snacks...

Overall a very busy day but I wanted to hit as many sights as possible. The sights are solidly good. Although the historic and heritage sites may not be as impressive as other older Asian cities, they provide a glimpse of the past of this very modern looking city. The Man Mo Temple and the Legislative Council Building are close to major sights and worth a visit for visitors with limited time and who want to see some historic buildings of Hong Kong.

Hong Kong was very hot and humid in mid September! I was fascinated by all the discussions on Hong Kong on Fodor's forum. Thanks especially to rkkwan and Cicerone for all the information posted on this forum!

Shanghai is the first stop of my Highlights of China tour with Gap Adventures. I had very limited time in Shanghai and I visited and enjoyed the classic sights of the European architecture of the Bund, ultra modern Pudong Skyline, People's Square and the elegant classical Chinese Yu Garden. The bund at night is so beautiful with buildings beautifully lit up. Be prepared for crowds at the Yu Garden area! The crowds were phenomenal, and the pushing/ shovelling did take some time getting used to…The garden is well worth a visit though! Unfortunately I did not have the time to visit the Shanghai museum.

Zhouzhuang was included in our tour. It was a delightful excursion from Shanghai. I love the ancient architecture lining the picturesque canals. The Quanfu temple is beautiful and tranquil and there are elegant historic Chinese mansions in the town. We took a relaxing boat ride, which was not expensive as six of us shared the boat ride. To get into the historic town and visit the attractions, you need to get a tourist ticket with your photo on it. The only downside is that Zhouzhuang does get pretty commercialized.

When we were in Shanghai, the typhoon was just touching Shanghai. Fortunately the rain was holding off most of the days. It was pretty hot and humid though.

Thanks

Ben

Oct 26th, 2008, 07:25 PM

Glad to know you enjoyed Chi Lin Nunnery and Nan Lin Gardens.

How much did you pay for your hostel room? I assume it's shared bath? And do you feel unsafe in the Sincere Building?
Oct 26th, 2008, 10:50 PM

I also want to know about Dragon Hostel. Perhaps, it'll be an option in the future if the hostel is clean and safe. It offers free WiFi, did you try it?
Oct 27th, 2008, 02:27 PM
yk

Thanks for sharing the photos, though I only looked through the Hong Kong ones.

Is it a private room at the Hostel in Hong Kong? I gather it has no window?

Really liked the photo of Helena May building - brings back some old memories of mine. The wontons look delicious.
Oct 27th, 2008, 03:51 PM

They need to install central A/C in the Helena May. Those window units totally destroy its looks. [yk - Are you going to tell everybody what you were doing in that building? ]

Photo #11 - Note how many of those neon signs are for "hourly-rate" hotels? That's the problem with recommending cheap accommodations in Hong Kong. You don't want to end up in one of these.

BTW, great comments with the photos.
Oct 27th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

Hi there,

Thanks for the comments! Much appreciated.

Yes the Nan Lian Garden and Chi Lin Nunnery were fantastic. In addition, I very much enjoyed the Man Mo Temple and the Tin Hau Temple –these two temples are older and more of local style I think...thanks rkkwan – your albums on zenfolio are very beautiful and I looked at them for ideas of places to go in Hong Kong.

With regard to the hostel, I booked the hostel through hostelworld.com. I chose it because of the location and the generally good reviews posted by people who stayed there, and there were many written reviews. I agree that people have to be careful with cheaper accommodation in Hong Kong. Many hostels are located in the Mirador and Chungking Mansions. I don’t know what they are like but Mirador and Chungking Mansions do not strike my fancy.

I did not feel unsafe in the building and the neighbourhood. Please let me know if there is anything “unsavoury” about this building, as I liked my experience there and will definitely consider staying there again for another short visit to Hong Kong. I paid 240 HK (approx 31 US) for a night (payment in cash only), and it was a private room with my own private (and very small) bathroom...so I think that is a pretty good price for this expensive city. The prices are lower for shared bathrooms. From the written reviews I knew that the rooms were very small, but I was still amazed when I saw my room in person! No there are no windows in the room as the room is inside the apartment.

Other than the size of the room, I did enjoy my stay there. The room was very nice and clean, and the staff were very friendly and helpful. There was free internet available at the lobby. It is close to MTR and airport express bus stops.

I did not have my computer with me so I did not use the Wi-fi...I don’t know what the service was like.

Thanks

Ben