Phnom Penh to Siem Reap— drive vs plane

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2024, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be getting off a Pandaw river cruise about 10 am and we have to be in Siem reap that evening. There is one p,and at 1:30 pm but we would like to see a couple sites of Phnom Penh before departing, so we are considering going by road with a driver. How is the experience of driving that route?
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 12:10 PM
kja

There are two different routes; the shorter one is to the east of Tonle Sap. I didn't take that route, but have been told that the roads are relatively new and are decent. If you want, I can recommend a driver -- send me a personal message for contact information.
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 06:05 PM

We took the road via Sambor Prei Kuk and it was paved the entire way when we visited in 2022. Worth checking out the temple ruins if you have the time.
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 07:48 PM
kja

I agree with tripplanner001 that Sambor Prei Kuk is worth visiting -- depending on your other priorities and how much time you have. It is unique in several ways ... much older than most Khmer ruins within a day's journey of Siem Reap, it has several octagonal temples and unusual decorations on both the temples and the enclosing walls,. But it closes around sunset (5:30 p.m. when I was there) and it is a large site -- I spent 3 hours there. So I think it would be difficult to include in a trip from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap if your intent is to see a bit of the capitol before hitting the road. JMO.
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

I would love to see that! I think the timing will be too tight. If there is a next time, will make more time for Phnom Pehn.