Penninsula v. Oriental

Jan 16th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Penninsula v. Oriental

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon in mid-Septemeber. Does anyone have any preferences between these two hotels? I realize the Penninsula is on the other side of the river. Is this a big deal? Hassle? Also - will the weather be ok? I know its the rainy season but we will only be in Bangkok for a few days on each end of the trip. Thanks!
Jan 23rd, 2004, 08:26 AM

I can only reply to a couple of points. The fact that the Penn is on the other side of the river doesn't matter. They (and Oriental, Shangri-La, and Marriott) run river shuttles to the Sky Train station on the "Oriental side" of the river. Very convenient. The Marriott (where I stayed) is the furthest away, with a 15 minute shuttle, and it was no hassle at all. The Penn shuttle might take 5 minuts.

I did not visit the Penn. I did like the Oriental, though I don't know if I'd stay there. I love the history and traditions of the place. I hated the tiny pool. Actually, two tiny pools, hardly large enough to swim in. And, no place for chairs. People were literally shoulder-to-shoulder on their towels on the ground. The pool was the only drawback I saw. It was important to me on our December trip, but given the weather in September, it may not matter to you.

Since you haven't received any other responses, I would suggest you search the boards for your other question topics. Weather and hotels are discussed here constantly.
Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:22 AM

test
Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:25 AM

i find the peninsula to be superior in every way...the pool is noted above for one thing...the fact that every room looks directly over the river is another strong point....there is far less traffic in the lobby as the penn is not a tourist attraction like the oriental...the restaurants are probably equal all things being equal, although jesters is a notch above anything of its kind at the oriental, which i don't think exists--asian fusion...

you would not go wrong with the penn and the price is generaly better....
Jan 23rd, 2004, 03:38 PM

check out the search feature. the PEN vs Oriental bout has too be the @1 question in the asian forem .. my score card has.. the Pen in the lead with three big upper cuts..
Jan 25th, 2004, 03:08 PM

If you want high tech, stay at the Peninsula. If you want warmth and graciousness stay at the Oriental. Personally I think nothing equals the Oriental but it depends on what you're looking for.

Sepember is the rainy season but you might luck out.
Jan 25th, 2004, 08:00 PM

Oriental SUCKS! I stayed at both last Sept and the water at the Oriental was YELLOW! Penn upgraded me to a Balcony view room before I arrived and Oriental didn't even offer to do ANYTHING even after they apologized for their bad water filtration system!
Feb 22nd, 2004, 03:29 PM

I would NOT choose the Oriental. We stayed there in December and were not at all impressed. It's a lot more expensive than the Peninsula and 2. it's water shuttles don't come as frequently 3. it was used for a wedding so half of the hotel grounds including the famous author's wing was not open to hotel guests 4. we had to wait an hour for our room to be ready when we checked in at 1pm. 5. we found the concierges to be hurried and understaffed. 6. it was so crowded that they had pool loungers laid out on the grass behind the bushes behind the pool because there was absolutely no space around the pool area. 7. really rude hostess at their Bamboo bar who didn't seat us for over 1 hour.