Penang, Georgetown

Search

Penang, Georgetown

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2013, 02:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Penang, Georgetown

Any favourites re food & accommodation in Georgetown? Not interested in resorts as we live near a beach, we're more interested in cuisine and architecture in the old part of town, as we haven't been there since 1975. Nonya food is a favourite.
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 02:50 AM

Here is a link to our blog of some time we spent in Penang a few years ago http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blo...6180/tpod.html

We stayed at Hutton Lodge, a guesthouse in the old town which was very nice and a great location. More upmarket would be the Eastern and Oriental. The food in Chinatown and Little India was amongst the best I have eaten anywhere in Asia. I wasn't so keen on Gurney drive which has developed beyond all recognition.

Nonya food didn't seem to be as much in evidence as it was in Melaka but can still be found. Having spoken to a couple of lady chefs who are apparently famous for their Nonya cooking throughout Malaysia , the cuisine is gradually dying out as few younger Malaysians are learning the art which is a real shame.
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for that,crellston. Fond memories of the E&O when my bother was at Butterworth. Spouse is a Viet vet, we spend lots of time in Asia, but trying to get my brother and his wife back there is proving to be a challenge.

cheers, mareeS
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 05:11 AM

We stayed at Clove Hall. Lot of charm as it was the house of an old spice farm. It is within walking distance of the center, but due to the heat you may want to taxi . We ate at Gem restaurant in little India that was very good. Also at Cherry Sweet Thai, at the New World Hawker center, Mamas Noyonya Cuisine( not a favorite of our), and the Sire Museum restaurant which we loved. BE sure to look around the museum part of the restaurant while you are there...food was delicious. If you are a shopper, I bought at lot of stuff at Sam's Batik House on Penang Road. we loved our time there.
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Hey, thanks kmkrnn for that advice. We haven't been to Georgetown for years, even though lots of time in KL over the years with work.

We're probably looking to stay at a renovated Chinese shop house like we have recently in Melaka and years ago at Hoi An. I write about these places for magazines.
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 06:24 AM

We stayed at Clove Hall also. Ate at Mama's Nonya Cuisine one night. Full Malaysia trip report here:
http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...-singapore.cfm
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 10:05 AM

We stayed at the E&O , but you might consider the Choeng Fatt-Tze Mansion as an option. The magazines would love that! We ate every day at hawker stalls in Goergetown - better than those out on Guerney Drive, IMO. We ate at a couple of interesting restaurants, but Georgetown is (justly) celebrated for the hawker food. We bought a little book of best hawker food while we were there, and it led us to some absolutely amazing food. I do have a trip report here, but ti is so old, I expect our favorite hawkers have all passed on to that great hawker center on the other side.
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 11:18 AM

Aik Hoe at Carnavon is good for dim sums. They might not always look good, but the taste is usually exceptional. A murtabak from Hameediyah is also a must try when in Penang.