Reload this Page >

Penang - by car?

Search

Penang - by car?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 09:43 AM
Rochelle

Penang - by car?

I'm stopping over in KL for 3 days in July and would like to go to Penang. The thing is I'm not keen to fly there after a long overnight flight. Is it feasible and realistic to drive to Penang (via ferry of course)? <BR>I really don't like KL and am hopping that Penang will be more lively and less of a concrete jungle - any thoughts? <BR>Thanks

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 01:38 PM
Mary Anne Cook

Yes, it is possible to drive from KL to Penang. In January made this trip partly by bus to Cameron Highlands and then by car to Penang. We drove across the bridge into Penang. Penang was one of my favorite places to visit-an old English colony. It is easy to walk in the town ,although the traffic is very busy. There is a Botanical Garden, a beautiful view of the city from the top of Penang Hill-You go to the top on a tram. A favorite for me was the Cheong Fatt Tze mansion tour. Much more interesting than KL.

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 07:11 AM
Rochelle

Mary Anne, <BR>Thank you for your useful reply. How long should it take do you think say from KL airport by car? <BR>Thanks <BR>Rochelle

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 08:43 AM
Mary Anne

I cannot tell you exactly as my trip was broken into two part. It should not be any longer than a half day trip-6 hours. The roads were good,although there were quite a few toll stops. My friend and I were so fortunate to meet an American who lives in Penang who invited us to ride with her from the Cameron Highlands back to Penang. The first part was the bus out of KL so maybe this is a little help ,hopefully.

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 05:19 AM
winnie

Hi Rochelle, <BR> <BR>It is relatively easy to drive to Penang. It will take around 4 1/2 to5 hrs if you didn' make any wrong turning. Email me for further information. I'll be away for a week and will reply to you when I get back. <BR>Cheers.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 10:43 AM
PenangFan

If you have more Penang specific questions, I would like to suggest anyone to check out this message board <BR>http://www.turfers.com/modforum/index.html <BR>You can find as well as posting any questions you might have and there are a lot of helpful posters will give provide those information, both from the local people as well as from the foreign perspective. <BR>You will love and impress with Penang. <BR>Have a safe and enjoyable trip there. <BR>

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 10:55 PM
wein

hi! i'm from penang. you can drive from kl to penang in abt 4 hours but there is nothing much to see along the h'way apart from some limestone caves near ipoh. alternatively you can fly from kl for abt US$60 return (domestic flights are cheap). if you drive in penang be prepared to get lost as the streets are crowded and maze like. but being an island and very small you won't be lost for long. most people speak english so you can ask for directions. be sure to visit the temples mentioned in this forum, kek lok si temple at teh foot of penang hill, pg hill itself, gurney drive for its food, batu feringhi beach and of course the many interesting shops along and off penang road. penang, singapore and madras share the same town plan as they were designed bythe same architect. it is like singapore 20 yrs ago. e-mail me if you need more info.