pangkor or tioman in oct?

Sep 10th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

pangkor or tioman in oct?

we're planning for a short trip to either pangkor or tioman in malaysia in mid oct. we're beach people but not really into water sports, and prefer some local and ethnic sightings. would pankor or tioman more suitable for us?
Sep 10th, 2007, 06:13 PM

By mid Oct, operators in Tioman are starting to pack up and leave the island before monsoon sets in. See http://www.malaysiaupclose.wordpress...about-weather/ to understand more about Malaysian monsoon. There's really not much to do in Tioman if you don't like watery stuff.

Pangkor would be better as it is a fishing island. Hotels, chalets, and of course, the 5 star Pangkor Laut are situated over the quiet side of the island. If PL is too high for your budget, try Pangkor Island Beach Resort. Cool private beach and great barbeque overlooking sunset.
Sep 10th, 2007, 06:18 PM

I would say neither will offer much in the way of ethnic sightings. Tioman is a purpose built tourist island. Really my least favourite island in the whole great series if islands off the east coast of Malayasia. I also agree that you will have a rain issue in mid-October on that side of Malaysia, it may be OK, check some websites like weatherbase.com. Rain usually starts later in Ocotber. Hard to say exactly what you will find in mid-October. Many places used to close in the rainy season, but now stay open for tourists who don't know about the rain....

I have only been to Pankor once and many years ago, but also would say that there is not a lot in the way of ethnic sightings.

If you want to do a trip to see the culture, consider a trip up the east coast with off trips to the islands. There are some great beaches along the coast as well and you will see lots of little villages and village life. But do it in the summer months.
Sep 11th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Original Poster

seems like i really need to re-consider my options. perhaps pangkor is more suitable. pangkor laut is really nice but in view of its ferry schedules, we wouldn't have much time left to enjoy for our 5-day trip.

just a thought - does bintan have enough charm? it seems more convenient to go. is it popular among westerners? we don't really want to ONLY meet singaporeans there....

Sep 11th, 2007, 02:22 AM

Sorry, Bintan has LESS charm than Tioman, IMO...it's a weekend getaway for golf and Singaporeans (and some expats). Beaches are not really very nice, you are still in the shipping lanes for Singapore. Sai Kung has far far prettier beaches, IMO.

What is it that you are looking for? You don't want water sports and you want culture. I would say Bali, but maybe not in October. Bali beaches are nice, but not spectacular, but certainly better than Bintan, and IMO as good as what you will find in Tioman and Pankour Laut. (Not as good as some other beaches in Malaysia.) Culture is absolutely unmatched almost anywhere, and of course heads above what you would find in Bintan, Tioman or Pankour Laut. But can be rainy in October, but if you go early in the month, it may be OK. If you don't mind a little rain, even later may be OK, not sure what is important to you.

You might want to look at Hainan Island, I understand if you go inland there are small villages in the hill areas. Beaches are very pretty. May need to watch rain there too; that is the trouble with beaches in SE Asia in the fall, you have those pesky monsoon patterns moving around. Take a look at weatherbase.com.

Search this Thread