Packing Prescription Drugs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2005, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it ok to use those drug paks where you put all you medications in for the week, each in their own little compartment according to the day, time, etc? Or do all your medications have to be in their original vials with name, doctor, etc. This would just take up more space.
Also for luggage: in the US, all luggage has to be kept unlocked for security. How about overseas? Same thing or we should bring some little locks?
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 12:22 PM

I know it is recommended to carry prescription drugs in the original container so you don't have any problems..I have heard not to lock luggage overseas, but don't know for sure..I never lock mine..
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 12:27 PM

Unfortunately it 'is' recommended to keep them in original containers.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

I was afraid of that. Just more to bring. Thanks!
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 03:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I almost never pack my prescriptions in the original containers. I put them in those weekly containers and carry a few of those. I've never encountered any problems and I've travelled quite extensively over the years and bring all kinds of medications such as sleeping pills, prescription motrin, epi-pens, and a host of over the counter stuff that I just put into an unmarked vial. The only thing I would worry about is if you must travel with a syringe, such as for insulin. In that case, I would definitely bring the prescription. Also, carry all meds on board with you. If you put them in your luggage and it gets lost, you'll have a real problem, but I'm sure you already knew that!
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 03:06 PM

Sorry, I just realized you had another question. Overseas, it is not required to leave luggage unlocked so you can bring locks for luggage. I always lock my luggage when I reach a foreign destination and am going to fly. Laurie
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

laurieco,
I like your answer. What would they do if they don't like the convenient pill boxes? Could they confiscate the meds? Good idea about carry on. But certainly greater chance they would look through it, moreso than the checked luggage right? I'm finding it hard to limit ourselves to one bag plus one carry-on.

I guess it's a good idea to bring locks then.

Thanks!
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 04:53 AM

LostinChina, I honestly don't know what would happen if they don't like the containers, I've never encountered that problem. In fact, no one has ever even looked at them, except in the X-Ray machine that all carry-ons must go through. I think in this day and age, they are more worried about finding weapons than some pills. If you're worried but still don't want to schlep all the original containers, ask your doctor for prescriptions and carry those as well. A few pieces of paper take up a whole lot less room than separate vials for each prescription,
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 04:59 AM

I have always carried them in original bottles but I have yet to have one person look at them or at my vast containers of unmarked vitamins. However, I choose to be safe rather than sorry compromise by putting vitamins which I can either replace or live without for a few weeks in the weekly containers but keep the truly important stuff in original bottles.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

All great points!! Great idea about the prescriptions, Laurieco! Certainly would save space!!

Thanks!
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 09:15 AM

we pack our drugs in clearly marked prescription bottles with our names on them and the usual drug info....i also carry my current 7 day flip top carrier with this weeks pills in it...noone has ever asked out our pills, but we are in our 60's and not the uausal target of drug sniffers...
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 12:01 PM

Bob-- I think you're right that a lot has to do with what you look like. I'm 58 and am never stopped but I can imagine they might target someone who is younger.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 06:41 PM

gloria...about the only advantage to being over the hill...next step...we can get on first with our wheel chairs...
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Ok, I guess we'll decide what to do when we see how much room we have left in our luggage. Thanks!
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 07:44 PM

AH, ha...Now I know how old you guys are and can put a better picture in my head!! I always enjoy reading your posts.....
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 03:00 PM

I put all drugs into one bottle to save space. Can't imagine that they would give anybody trouble over a couple of dozen pills. A baggie with 500 unmarked capsules would be a whole different story.

When I landed in Toyama, Japan in January my bag was searched (because I had been in Thailand before that and arrived on Asiana). He gave an uninterested look at the pill bottle, shook it and kept searching. He was interested in my Pepto Bismol bottle that was marked and had pink PB in it, though. I patted my belly and he patted his and nodded ok.

In any event, it would be a bad idea to put prescription medication into checked bags because checked bags get lost or stolen. Take them in your carry-on.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

I do think age has its advantages!!

mrwunrfl,
It was hilarious to read they couldn't care less about the unmarked pills, but wondered about the PB in the marked bottle!! Maybe it's not a big deal then. I wonder though even if I have a prescription showing what the meds are, how do they know that the meds in the pill box are indeed the ones on the prescription? It sounds like this may be a non-issue since most of you didn't get questioned. Bringing in the carry-on is a good idea.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 06:35 PM

I carry my meds in combo of origenal botles and zip lock bags... hmmm may'be not the smartest thing.. I do fit the ectassy (drug) trading profile and my last name dosn't help.. but I've yet too have any probs..
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 09:05 PM

On the following webpage:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1148.html
you will see advice about taking drugs into Japan. I'll ignore it, but if you are one who keeps their i's crossed and their t's dotted, then it may help.

Read the section that starts with:

CONFISCATION OF PRESCRIPTION DRUGS AND OTHER MEDICATION: Decisions on what medications may be imported legally into Japan are made by the Japanese Government, and ...
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

mrwunrfl,
Thanks for that web site. That was unbelievable the things they didn't allow. I was certainly going to bring cold meds. I assume China is about the same as Japan. Certainly something to keep in mind! Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -