Overseas Adventure Tours

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 05:32 PM
Jane

Overseas Adventure Tours

We are going with Overseas Adventure Tours on their Imperial China, Tibet and Yangtze River Trip. Would appreciate any comments and suggestions to prepare us.
Thanks, Jane

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 06:09 PM
Al

You are in good hands. We have traveled with OAT, most recently to SE Asia. Loved the small-sized group (fewer than 16), choice of activities, reasonable pace, excellent quarters and meals. Top value for the money.

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 05:54 AM
Richard

When are you going? My wife and I are going on the same OAT trip on Aug. 16th. This will be our third OAT trip and we find them to be great trips

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 01:54 PM
Jane

Hi Richard
We are scheduled for May, 2002. Let us hear of your trip.
Jane

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 07:32 PM
katie

Hi Jane--
My daughter and I returned from that trip today. If you don't mind I'll e-mail you with some tips after the jet lag has cleared--please let me know if this would be OK and ask any questions you have. I was lucky enough to find 2 prior OAT travelers (on this site) who gave me many welcome tips.
I must say that OAT did a wonderful job! The trip was well planned but still flexible. As mentioned in earlier posts OAT has small groups--the group we were in had only 10 tourists (usually 2 guides). Imagine the looks on the faces of tourists in groups of 30 as they board a "small" boat (seats 40) for their tour of the lesser gorges (Yangtze river) and the OAT group of 10 boards the same size boat.
Katie

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 06:59 AM
Jane

Thanks, Katie,

I would love to hear from you regarding your experiences with OAT in China. Get rested!!
Jane

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 08:58 AM
geri

Did that trip a year ago and it was great. Just returned from OAT's tour of Peru and Ecuador which was also spectacular. The best thing about this outfit is the small size of the group (16 last year, 12 on most recent trip) and that it's basically all inclusive. Most meals are included and there are basically no options, so once you've paid all you need is a bit of spending money.

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 09:13 AM
Sue

Just returned 6/21 from this trip. While it was a great trip, be prepared for squatting, repetitious lunches and dinners served lazy susan style; some dishes including sliced pig's ears and other unidentifiable presentations. I guess that's why they call it "adventure" travel.

If your motel room has a refrigerator in the room, make sure you turn up the temperature guage, as your beer, soda, etc. will still be warm, otherwise...as is usually served in the restaurants.

Feel free to suggest alternatives to your local guides. For example, a non-scheduled highlight was climbing a prayer mountain in Tibet instead of whatever was scheduled. Much more fun and interesting and finally in ("fresh"!!) air. The view of the Potala Palace from across the river was great, and one not normally seen on the tour.

The cruise of the Yangtze was great. In particular, the sampan tour of the lesser gorges was spectacular...we had great, sunny weather.

Also, after days and days of lazy susan dinners, a corned beef sandwich (Reuben) was most welcome at Murphy's in Hong Kong. Go straight there. Do not stop.

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 05:12 PM
Laurel

What is the web site for OAT? Thanks!

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 09:42 AM
Bernard Samuels

I'm planning on the same trip in May or June 2002. While I'd like to avoid crowds & heat I was concerned that the river might be to high in May because of the Spring runoff.
Does anyone have any experience with this, or suggestions on these topics.
Thanks.............Bernie