Overnight trains in India

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2007, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the process of planning my first trip to India in February 2008. The places and must see's are already in place. But would like to do some train travel from New Delhi-Varanasi-Agra. Need info of what to expect in overnight trains to these places. These is the portion of the trip that I'm still considering.

Thanks
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 04:00 AM

Hi..overnight train travel in India can be a very convenient way to travel and please make sure you book the most comfortable A/C sleeper carriages on the train...good luck..ps: secure your belongings, don't want to scare you but being a cautious traveller anywhere in the world is always better
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 04:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
See seat61.com/India.htm for lots of info & photos of Indian trains. I spent 10 weeks traveling round India by train - you can read my trip reports at www.wilhelmswords.com/asia2001. I like 2AC class - more fun than 1AC, but 1AC gives you more privacy. If you can do without AC I hear sleeper class is even more fun, but I need the AC.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 05:00 AM

seat61 is required reading. Brilliant site.

I guess the classes must have changed. I've never heard of 2AC. Maybe it is only available on selected (tourist) routes.

If you are on a budget you can go plain 2nd class where the a/c is fresh air.

6 bunks to a compartment.

Look - travelling on Indian Railways is something you must do at least once. How you do it is up to you. Go first class - you have a softer bed; only two to a compartment. Washbasin - for all I know loos and a shower too.

You'll still have the experience of the station and departure time.

And you'll meet some interesting people.

Even that may not live up to your first world expectations so it depends on you.

I travelled for nine months around India up and down in 2nd class and got very used to the routine of stops where you could get out, and buy an egg omlette; of the chai sellers. I always asked on booking for a top bunk - cos that way you could retreat if you wanted to.

Go for it OP - I'm sure you are not the type to be too scared to travel first class on IR.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 08:12 AM

The Indian train system is awesome. I took a train from Delhi to Varanasi to Agra. I talk about it in my trip report:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=27

But don't let that scare you off, I was just overwhelmed at the time.

This is me on the train to Varanasi, I had the top bunk & I chained all my bags and suitcases to my legs:

http://www.waynehazle.com/india/Day2...5_12atrain.htm
www.waynehazle.com/india/Day2/Pages/n16_13a.htm

Old Jul 6th, 2007, 05:32 AM

WH - haven't looked at your photos - been there done that a hundred times over.

But love your style.

Good for you.

Goes without saying that the OP will take more notice of an enthusiastic rookie than a hard bitten matted hair (not) dirty (not) long term (definitely) traveller like me.

ha ha
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Definetly will try. Right now I'm in the middle of reviewing some itineraries suggested by various Indian operators (car & driver option).
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 11:07 AM

Things have certainly improved since I was there in 1984 and 1988. No A/C then. Second class was packed. First class was three times as much but was worth it. A number of times I had the compartment to myself. Toilets and showers were as basic as they get and food was cold when the people came around with it. But as mentioned, you could get hot food on platforms as well as bananas, drinks, etc.

Night trains were great though because you could sleep on them by night then travel around town next day then a train that night, so saving on hotels.

I found one of my Indrail passes the other day. $260 for 60 days First Class. No. 000001.