Overnight in Osaka?

Search

Overnight in Osaka?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overnight in Osaka?

My husband and I are planning a pre-cruise visit to the Kyoto area in May. As we will be arriving at KIX from Dallas at about 3:30pm after a 13.5 hr flight, would it make sense to overnight at a hotel near the airport or to just gut it out and take the train on into Kyoto after clearing customs?Have any of you ever done this?Any insight would be welcome.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 10:19 PM

KIX is built on a man-made island in the middle of a bay, and you'll need to go somewhere anyhow. Might as well make it to Kyoto.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 08:42 AM

Haven't done it, but a quick search on the web finds that there is a Nikko Hotel at KIX:
http://www.nikkokix.com/e/top.html

Here is the airport website:
http://www.kansai-airport.or.jp/english/index.htm

Going to Kyoto on a limited express train would cost 72 min and $32 each way. Namba (Nanba) station in Osaka is 48 min and $8 away. There are a couple of stops near the airport that are quick and cheap to get to but I have no info to recommend any.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 10:43 PM

Here is another good link for getting around in Japan. I'm currently in Nagoya heading to Kokura tonight on the Shinkansen.

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/GA/

RS TECH
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info..still in the planning stage.All help greatly appreciated
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 11:56 PM

When I replied before I was thinking that you're plan was to return to KIX to catch a flight the next day or somathing like that.

But now I am wondering if your cruise is departing from Osaka.

Was your question should you spend the first night at KIX and go to Kyoto the next morning OR should you gut it out and just go to Kyoto the first night? Might as well just gut it out and go to Kyoto (bus to hotel, maybe).
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 09:47 AM

Just returned from the Diamond Princess cruise from Osaka. We flew into Osaka, stayed there for 2 nights at the Toyoko-Inn Namba. This is a nice clean very reasonable priced hotel.(www.toyoko-inn.com)
We had volunteer guide taking us to different places in Osaka and Nara. Even though they might not be as professional as regular tourist guide, they gave us an insight to the everyday life of the people. We do not have to pay them, just cover their lunch and transportation.