Overland in the 70's

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 07:21 PM
hope

Overland in the 70's

Have been lurking & posting in Europe these days (who knows where life will take us) but wonder if there are any travelers from the early 1970's who went overland to India/Nepal from Europe, Israel, Istanbul, etc, then on to Japan via HK, KL, Bali, Bangkok etc. Where are you now? (Has this discussion been on this website?)

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 02:32 PM
les gray

hi there, i went overland from the uk to india in 1970-71, les

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 06:03 PM
hope

Hi Les,

Thanks for the reply. I went from Istanbul by train to Tehran, Then bus, donkey cart, hitch, etc etc to Quetta Pakistan, Train to Karachi, then ship to Bombay. Went through Herat & Kandahar in Afghanistan, and the no=man's Land. It gives me chills when I think about it. Middle of the desert, we were traveling on a bus. We were 2 women (girls really) and all these scary huge men (The Afghanis are very tall and striking) The bus stopped in the middle of nowhere. Men got off the bus, and other Men got on the bus. Where were they going? It was so desolate, no roads, buildings, etc. They all had turbans and rifles. We were "detained" at "Customs" and only rescued by a Brit going through in a car who insisted we be released. Very scary.

That was not the story I was thinking of when I posted before.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 02:44 PM
les gray

hi hope, sorry for taking so long, go to www.virtualtourist.com and sign in, i will talk to you there, you will find me, all the best les

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 08:13 PM
hope

Hi Les I found virtual tourist but was not able to sign in yet. Will try again @ Afghanistan.