Outlet adapters

May 11th, 2004, 02:07 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 54
Outlet adapters

I am heading to Shanghai in a couple days and have a (probably dumb) question about adapters. I have a package here from radioshack that includes four adapters including one with round prongs it says is for Asia. The dumb question: it says they won't work without a Voltage adapter. I'm just trying to find out how to best get my laptop and Ipod to work there. Thank you for any assistance!
kendallg is offline  
May 11th, 2004, 04:42 AM
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 325
I don't know about the Ipod, but the box on the power cord of the laptop is a voltage converter. All you need is the plug adapter.
Richard1148 is offline  
May 11th, 2004, 06:17 AM
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 23,074
iPods come with a transformer that's good for 100-240v, so you don't need another transformer. It also has two blades of the same length, so it will fit in many electrical outlets in China. Some of the outlets there are round, so you should also get a flat-to-round adapter just in case.

Check your laptop's power supply to see what kind of plug it has. Its should accept 100-240v as well.
rkkwan is offline  
May 13th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5
Most of China uses the Australian style plug - that's the one that has the two splayed out or "crow's feet" flat pins; if there is a ground, it would be another flat plate at the 12 o'clock position, with the two "crow's feet" at 4 and 8 o'clock. If you get stuck, check with the hotel's concierge for adapters - otherwise, check around once you arrive in Shanghai for the specific adapter you need (maybe the electrical departments of one of the department stores like Parkson's). China is a place where there is a lot of imported electrical stuff where the plugs are to different standards, so the adapters aren't that hard to find.

China power is 220V - 50 hz, most multi voltage power packs for electronic equipment will handle this.
dsgtc0408 is offline  
May 13th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,778
Here's a repeat of a recent posting on the same topic. It always pays to do a search before posting as this has come up three times in recent days:

Message: Here are the facts on plugs and voltages:

The most common socket in China is the two-flat-pin kind common in North America, closely followed by the two small round pins common in much of continental Europe, but the sockets are usually designed to take either, and indeed, face plates are often designed to take both these and the three-flat-pin plugs with two tilted pins common in Australia, Fiji, etc. The latter are usually used for higher voltage devices requiring an earth. The fridge/minibar in your room will usually use one of these, as will the housekeepers' vacuum cleaners.

The three-chunky-pin sockets common to the UK and Hong Kong are found in Sino-foreign joint-venture hotels, and others in which Hong Kong investment has been involved, but are less usual. In these better hotels housekeeping staff always have adapters, and often transformers available for those who have North American devices. But overall these sockets are less common, and Britons would be wise to bring an adapter which adapts to North American or Continental Europe style sockets.

However, adapters between one plug type and any other are very cheap and readily available in department stores and high street electrical shops throughout China, although those adapting the UK-style plugs are a little less often seen, so it might be wise to bring one of these.

Important note for North Americans: Devices with one pin broader than the other, or with a third earthing pin, will not fit in Chinese sockets. And you have voltage problems, too.

Voltages: China, the UK, and Australia all use 220V to 240V. North American devices requiring 110V cannot be used in China without a voltage transformer, best taken with you, but annoyingly heavy. Plug in without the transformer and you'll fry your device (unless that device is designed for a range of voltages, in which case it will say so on the side).

Peter N-H
PeterN_H is offline  
May 17th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 36
Okay, I'm no expert here. I'm flying from California to Beijing in a few days. Do I need a power adapter? I will need to recharge the batteries on my digital camera.
Pauli is offline  
May 17th, 2004, 09:54 PM
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 23,074
Pauli - There are two issues here. One is voltage, the other is the plug.

For voltage, look at the power supply of the camera you have. If it says 110-240v, you're fine. If it's only 110 (or something like 100-120), then you'll need a transformer.

For the plug, Peter and others have explained it very well here on this thread and others. Read the responses again carefully. A standard (for US) two-prong plug with one blade longer than the other WILL NOT FIT.
rkkwan is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:11 AM.