Outdoors and rural towns?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2015, 11:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a place to hike or take easy bike rides in rural areas. Currently attempting Kumano Kodo but finding nothing but rain unfortunately. �� A day trip to Koyasan might happen via Osaka.

Places in Kansai would be ideal as I'm here but other areas leading up to Tokyo/Nikko would work too.

I visited the village of Asuka outside of Nara, which was pretty nice to walk about.

Suggestions?
Old Nov 8th, 2015, 07:32 AM
kja

Scroll down this page until you reach "Nice Places for Cycling"
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2210.html
Old Nov 8th, 2015, 08:21 AM

Head down to the island of Kyushu for hiking and rural "Nirvana." I stayed in Takamori for three nights, and I took walks around Mount Aso and Takachiho Gorge. The area is generally flat, so you can cycle there as well.

After that, head over to see Nakasaki (my favorite city in Japan), and then go to Kumamoto. From there, you can head to the island of Amakusa, which is lovely and rural in a different way than the Mount Aso area. It is more "fishing village" rural, and the ocean views are stunning, with no shortage of walking routes.
Old Nov 8th, 2015, 10:07 AM

The train ride from Nara to Iga-Ueno is very nice, and I guess it would be a good bike ride. Iga-Ueno is a very interesting place: Ninja stuff, Basho's birthplace, a good castle.

The Shimanami Kaido is a bike route over the bridges and islands to Shikoku, though it may be a bit too far west for your plan. Oyazumi Shrine on Omishima (one of the islands) contains most of the NT armor in Japan and is really worth seeing and Shikoku itself is full of interesting places.
Old Nov 9th, 2015, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Those are a bit farther south then I would like. But ya never know.
Old Nov 9th, 2015, 08:20 AM

I understand how you feel, it is two train rides, half a day and $200 to get from where you are to Kyushu, but I have another idea....

How about the San'In region of Honshu? There are lots of places to walk there, such as Mt. Daisen, and you will be the only foreign tourist. Start in Tottori, and make you way to Matsue. All cities in this region are accessible by local train.

Takayama is also a very nice city, and lots of walking spots all around. You can also visit Shirakawa-go while you are there for some fun history of the region.
Old Nov 13th, 2015, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

The weather hasn't been great either.