Osaka visit need ideas

Aug 12th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Osaka visit need ideas

..I just got a call this am. and will leave day after tomorrow for osaka. I will be traveling on business but will have a very quick meeting as soon as i arrive (i will be flying on a company jet so wont be too tired). I have had very little time to do any reading (i am scrambling to get my work organized). I will be there for a minimum of a day after the meeting. Is there a halfday tour i can take? are ther one or 2 sites that are your favorites that you would suggest i see? I would like to take as much advantage of the time that i have as possible. thanks..ps have read the little blurb on fodors about osaka.
Aug 12th, 2004, 01:52 PM

Take a train to Kyoto (30-60 min). Much more interesting and worthwhile. Even if you've been before, an afternoon exploring any part of the city, or just strolling around, will be fascinating.
Aug 12th, 2004, 04:13 PM

Kyoto (16-Aug): Daimonji Gozan Okuri-bi Festival

Nara (15-Aug): Nara Daimonji Okuribi (sending off the spirits of the dead)

How exciting, travelbunny. It is Obon festival time in Japan. I took a look at www.jnto.go.jp to see what festivals will be in the Kyoto-Nara-Osaka areas in the period of time you will be there and copied the following list. I am not sure if the dates are for this year, last year, or every year.

Nara (17-Aug): Taiko-odori (dance) of which Oyanagi is raw

Nara (15-Aug) Kind of cactus mando (a lantern with long handle) Kuyo (service for the dead) gathering

Nara (14-15 Aug): Kasuga Taisha Grand Shrine Nakamoto Man light basket

Nara (all month): Light up Promenade Nara

Hopefully, you know some of the customs of Japan and a few words of greeting. If not, I suggest that you pick up a book on the subject, one that is particularly concerned with business etiquette.
Aug 12th, 2004, 04:22 PM

To answer your questions specifically: sure there are tours available. I recommend seeing Nijo-jo in Kyoto or visiting Todai-ji in Nara.

Here is more about that festival in Kyoto:
Aug. 16
Daimonji Okuribi (Daimonji Bonfire). Nyoigatake (Daimonjiyama) Kyoto. To mark the close of the Con Festival, an enormous bonfire, laid out in the shape of the Chinese character Dai (meaning great) is lit on the slopes of the mountain Nyogatake (Daimonji-yama). it is the most famous of the Okuribi (send-off fires) to bid farewell to the souls of ancestors.
Aug 13th, 2004, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

...thank you all! it is serendipity that i will arrive at festival time. I will be in kyoto..something i have always dreamed of.
Aug 13th, 2004, 06:34 AM

Be ready for heat and humidity!