Osaka or Kyoto

Search

Osaka or Kyoto

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2017, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Osaka or Kyoto

We are docking in Osaka on April 17 and are deciding what to do on our port day-7:00 am- 11:00 pm. We were considering train to Himenji and back to walk around Osaka. However, heard so much about Kyoto. Think a full day tour there may be a better use of the day. Any opinions? Thanks.
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 08:50 AM

I'd vote for Kyoto.
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 11:48 AM

Me too.
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 12:06 PM

With my vote, it's 3 for Kyoto, 0 for Osaka.
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 12:57 PM

If you're thinking of Himeji because it's the best-maintained Japanese feudal castle, don't. As far as Japanese castles go, it's great. Compared to the top European castles, it doesn't rate. Japanese castles were built for defense and power projection. The culture was fairly ascetic. There is essentially no great art or living history still in the castle as you would expect to find at Hampton Court Palace or Prague Castle or Chenonceau.

There's far more to see in Kyoto.
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 04:34 PM
kja

Your call, but my preference would be Kyoto. And no need for a tour there, unless that's your preference.

I would respectfully disagree with BigRuss about Himeji -- I found it fascinating and was very glad to have seen it! (But I'm glad I wasn't trying to decide what to visit on a single day.) It would never have occurred to me to compare it to a castle in Europe....
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 09:27 PM

If that is the only day you have in this region, then 100% I'd go for Kyoto.
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 08:02 AM

with only 16 hours in Japan I think the best use of your time would be to stay in Osaka instead of rushing around. You can tour Osaka-jo and the Umeji and Dotombori (dinner and last minute shopping) areas of town before heading out to KIX for your late flight home. Less stress this way.

If you go to Kyoto you would be much better off taking the taxi from venue to venue and the train to and from. Much more complicated than you would want for a day trip imho especially for a Japan newbie but definitely doable.

I absolutely love Japanese castles and the White Heron of Himeji is spectacular and the best in Japan. Might even have some cherry blossoms still lingering at that time of year but you will mostly see the inside of a train than sights in Japan on this itinerary.

Aloha!
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 08:03 AM

I'm going to take a contrarian view. I've been to Kyoto once (LOVED IT, duh!) and will be visiting again, along with Himeji on my upcoming trip in March/April. With one day in Kyoto, you'll be able to see a couple of temples or perhaps walk the Philosopher's Path and have dinner. I'm assuming your ship SAILS at 11:00 pm so you may need to be back on board by 9:00-9:30, which means leaving Kyoto at, say 7:00. My point is, you probably have even less usable time than you think. Selecting Himeji provides you with the opportunity to see the castle and surrounding garden easily within your day, as well as walk around Osaka in the afternoon. With this approach, you fully see both of these in the time you have, eliminating the need to ever have to go back. Selecting a jam packed 3/4 of day in Kyoto will only leave you wanting more.
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 08:26 AM

I vote for Kyoto. I think if you do your research in advance so you know your must see temples/gardens and where might like to have a quick lunch (there are fabulous quick noodle shops) and dinner, it is doable and you will feel satisfied. I would actually definitely consider a private tour guide (not a group tour). I only say this as it would alleviate any time taken up to learn the subway, potentially getting lost, etc. I used a private tour guide for a few 21/2 out of my 5 days In Kyoto and I enjoyed it very much. I chose a walking tour (as opposed to a private car), so we walked, jumped on the subway or went by taxi based on the location of the sights we were seeing for the day. Whatever you decide, I am sure you will love your one day in Japan!
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 12:30 PM

<<I would respectfully disagree with BigRuss about Himeji -- I found it fascinating and was very glad to have seen it!>>

You don't disagree with me. I've been twice and it's great to look at and wander around, but despite its size and scope, it takes only a short while to visit because it lacks the historical sweep and museum setting of the Euro castles.
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies. Lots of good information.
FYI- we will have several more days in Japan, just not in this area.
(Port of Shimizu and ending the cruise in Tokyo.)
I'm looking forward to more interesting opinions.
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 04:01 PM
kja

MinnBeef raises an interesting point (as do many others!) -- if you do go to Himeji, I wholeheartedly agree that you should consider visiting the garden there, Koko-en.
Old Jan 11th, 2017, 12:08 AM

Yes you can derive a a trip Koyoto because, there are so many things to do in kyoto, it is well known for temples, shrines, museums, activities, shopping, hike and green spaces.
Old Jan 11th, 2017, 09:37 AM

If your port is "Osaka", and not "Kobe Osaka", then I am fairly sure that your ship would berth at/near the Tempozan Passenger Terminal.

The Osakako subway station would be your departure point. It would be about 25 minutes to Osaka station, about 90 minutes to Himeji (via Osaka), or about an hour to Kyoto. There is also a city bus "station" at Tempozan.

Does your cruise line offer tour options? If so, do you have a link that describes them?
Old Jan 13th, 2017, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Yes, the cruise ship offers full day tours - Princess. If we do the full day to Kyoto we would take one of their tours (for convenience and no worries re: getting back to the ship in time). The one I'm looking at goes to Golden Pavilion, Kiyomizu Temple, Nijo Castle, and Nishiki Market. None go to more than 3 sites.